[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - 3 fingers under -- wow!

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 fingers under -- wow!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 8:47 pm 

After years of resisting all suggestions to try something other than my split-finger approach, I finally gave in and tried 3-fingers under. Wow -- it brought my point on in from 70 yards to 45 yards. That alone might be enough to convince me to switch.
What else should I consider in comparing the two styles? Anything I'd have to watch out for, any changes I'd need to make to my equipment?

Post subject: Re: 3 fingers under -- wow!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:06 am 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:03 am 

Thanks Don -- that is a lot of what I want to know.

A question -- you say you can always get arrows to fly well and to group well without changing the tiller. In general, compared to split finger, is a 3-under nocking point the same, higher, or lower -- and how about brace height?n
My bow was shooting darts with split finger, and with 3-under once in a while I get an arrow where it looks like the point kicks up, then settles into flight -- and the bow has gotten louder.
I've been tweaking form (for example, if I pull most strongly with my top two fingers, the arrows fly straight -- but, when my third finger gets into the act, I sometimes get that point kicking up.)n
But, if 3 under requires a different equipment setup, it would be good to know.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:01 pm 

My bow is shooting darts again. Raised the nocking point almost half an inch, and lowered the brace height by about the same.

Was talking with another archer who had made the change -- he said that he also had to dramatically raise his nocking point, but did not have to adjust his brace height.

Wondering if any of this is predictable, or whether it is all individual trial and error.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 5:11 am 

Interesting. I find there is very little difference between my nocking point height when I'm shooting split finger (target) and three fingers under (barebow). I think this probably has something to do with the fact that I put hardly any pressure on the string with my top finger when shooting target.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:54 am 

Good point. There sure are a lot of variables in this game. Shooting split finger, I put hardly any pressure on my third finger. When I went to 3 under, I started using a lot of third finger, without making a conscious decision to do that. As a result, the string is being drawn from a point almost 2 inches lower than usual.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:47 am 

Hey ArcCaster,n
How is the switch affecting your accuracy? The reason I ask is that my point on is 60yards and I am looking at changes that may bring it down. I don't know anyone locally who has made that big of a change.

Let us know how it is going.

Paul

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:23 am 

Haven't tested it in competition yet -- but in practice, my accuracy seems to be better in two ways.

One, the first arrow is almost always closer to where it should be. Reason -- with a 45-yard point on, shots plus or minus 20 yards do not have to be guestimated.

Two, the next three arrows are pretty tight -- again, I think it is because I have a reference, which does two things:
it allows me to aim more accuratelyn it is a lot easier to know whether I am holding or not -- so I am making more of an effort to hold on target.

As for the 'pure shot', without paying any attention to first arrows or groups -- the good shots feel really good, and fly really straight and true. Of course, it competition, things can come unraveled -- am shooting competitively next week -- will find out how the form holds up in competition.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 5:39 pm 

I used my new 3-fingers-under all week at the nationals. Even though it was not rock solid, it was still a great way to shoot. It allowed me to have confidence in my gaps from 30 yards all the way out to 70 (80, though, became a more difficult shot).

As far as accuracy -- I didn't see any difference from split finger. I shot some great shots and a lot of good shots -- my bad shots I blame on my negative hold time, not on 3 fingers.

Making the change, however, does have unforeseen affects (for example, it changed the amount my bowhand moves when I draw, and my bowstring angle was all over the place) -- nothing that can't be handled with practice -- so it would be best to make the change well before you compete.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:54 pm 

When teaching kids, i teach them three under. they go from missing the bales to hitting pie-plate sized groups in minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 5:10 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:19 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:52 am 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:48 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:01 pm