[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - using three fingers

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: using three fingers
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:26 pm 

Seems like many of the top shooters have given up trying to master 3-finger shooting -- instead, they shoot with two fingers.

But, three fingers is more comfortable. So, if you decide to shoot with all three, are there any keys to success? Or is it just too variable, and I would do better imitating the archers who shoot with two?

Post subject: Re: using three fingers
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 4:15 am 

I only know one person shooting two fingers and that's due to a medical reason.

For success in the 3 finger Med release it's important for the fingers, back of the hand and forearm are relaxed
I see a lot of people shooting off the tips/pads of their fingers thinking it will give them a faster/smoother release, (a little faster is just about all you get and at a price) a big problem is shot inconsistency especially under pressure situations where the tension in the fingers/forearm will increase.

You run a real risk of long term damage to the tendons in the hand, forearm and elbow, for the same reasons I wouldn't recommend shooting two fingers with a high poundage bow (+45lbs).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 5:29 pm 

Steven How are you anchoring yourself, what is your anchor point and how are you holding the string in order to keep your fingers relaxed? Do you use a glove or a tab? I've recently been trying to use a deeper hook into the crease of my first knuckle joint as the pad of my third finger is killing me. I've been shooting less than a year and the guy that got me into archery uses his fingertips so I learned that way with fairly decent results so far except for the pain. We are the only two guys shooting AFB (in fact the only guys using tradbows) at our local club so any advice would be hugely appreciated. Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:25 am 

MacBow: Hard to tell what the problem is without seeing you shoot, my first thought is check that the back of your hand is in line with the string, so if you tilt your bow, so should your drawing hand the same angle as the string, if it's not, you can end up putting too much pressure on the bottom finger.

I myself use a tab and anchor in the corner of my mouth (middle finger) with a deep hook just before the first knuckle joint and I mean hook in the sense that it's relaxed and just holding the string, many archers tense-up worried that they will lose control and the string will pull away before reaching anchor (try it close range until you feel comfortable)n I have a static release where on release I increase back pressure pulling into the corner of my mouth so my hand doesn't move away from my face on release, I feel that for me, I get the best accuracy with this method, the theory being that the less movement on the bowhand and string hand, the better the accuracy.

If you get a chance at a local tourney ask Jason Reid the European champ for some advice, he has great form and is very knowledgeable.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 10:26 pm 

Well, I have to say that Steve Morley is mistaken, nothing new in that!n For one he does not have a static release. He may think he has such a release but as an observer of said Mr. Morley I can tell you and him that he in fact has a break away release, not very exaggerated but a breakaway nevertheless.

As for shooting with all three finger zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzn IF YOU ARE USING ALL THREE FINGERS TO RELEASE THE ARROW YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG!n
Draw the string with all three fingers then anchor and hold the string with two fingers
the top two or bottom two, makes no difference the number three finger (ring finger) or if you are shooting with the bottom two fingers the number one finger (index finger) should be relaxed and just resting on the bowstring.

As for this concept of shooting with the end tips of ones fingers ???????
It is so beyond me that there are archers out there that have not done their homework or worse still have horrible coaches
Shoot with a deep hook let the string sit in the last joint line of your fingers
There is nothing new to this, Olympic Archers have been shooting this way for years.

MacBow try to find a book called Power archery by Kagey
Do not do that stupid static release thing it does not work, hey static release is an oxy moron so it must be wrong to do it!n
MacBow what poundage bow are you using??????n
Mr. Morley is a great Archer but he is wrong on this static release point
"theory being that the less movement on the bowhand and string hand, the better the accuracy."n
What Voodoo archery is this?? How can I put this diplomatically, how about garbage!n Fact: you have to have backward movement to release the string
Fact: Get your hands on some Fita archery video footage pay special attention to their release. Take note on how the hand moves AWAY from the face and ends up around the shoulder and in some cases past the shoulder
Note the release hand ALWAYS move in a straight line backward from your jawline
This method has 2 major advantages, First, if your concentrating on pulling your fingers off the string you are in a mind set of letting the string go, and NOT keeping you hand in a static position. Secondly by pulling back through the release you have less influence on the bowstring rather like a shearing action.

MacBow if you need help locating Power Archery let me know and i will send it to you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:58 am 

Redbow is BACK! With vengeance.

"I have a static release where on release I increase back pressure pulling into the corner of my mouth so my hand doesn't move away from my face on release".n
I still maintain backwards pressure and my hand does move backwards, but not very far unlike a target archer it's more static in comparison but not completely as Redbow rightly says, you must also remember that in Watkins Glen I was shooting with a broken Jaw, which meant that I had to modify my normal anchor and release to make sure I didn't cause any more pain than necessary.

As for my theory that less movement=more accuracy, I did score more points than you, but then again you did CLEAN THE BUNNIES.

:bigsmyl2:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 1:50 pm 

Morley, Morley, Morley
This is not a debate about how well YOU shoot
Your world championship win was an outstanding achievement.

But lets look at the bigger picture it was Larry Yein that Shot the best individual round
or maybe you have forgotten that little fact in your "fog" of victory.

Lets not forget it rained on the final day and Larry was affected by those conditions.

Yes it is true that i was the only archer to shoot a clean target all 4 arrows in the xn
I put it to you Mr. Morley, do you or do you not have a static release, you seem to be confusedn
The point is THE STATIC RELEASE IN FIELD AND TARGET SHOOTING IS NOT AN AID TO CONSISTENT SHOOTING
(Please do not start talking about American traditional 3d archery, with targets set out to 25 yards max, even with the worlds worst release you will hit the animal)n
As for Mr. Morley shooting more points than me, or any other longbow archer at the iffa worlds, well that is just peachy
You are still wrong about your static release. Oh wait you have a modified static release.

Mr Morley need to go back to his coach and get some good advice! Not the voodoo archery the people around him have been blowing his way.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:46 pm 

Redbow,n
Why don't you leave poor Mr. Morley alone!
It only takes voodoo mojo to make a static release consistantly effective. Maybe he has found the mojo necessary to perfect it? There are only a select few that can master its effectiveness.
Maybe it's kind of like being able to shoot with a double clutch, shakes, or Swoop. One will never understand the dynamics of how one pulls it all together in a split second to make a shaft impact paper, but it happens. You must have forgotten that Voodoo Archery is an artform that is individualistic and not reproducable by any form or fashion. There might be a book on this topic at the local WalMart here in Miami. I must get you a copy!n
Mr. Morley,n
I didn't see your static type release either, but if you say it works for you then I think that's fantastic. Redbow is jealous, he tried it, and didn't have the "Mojo" it takes to make it work. Could you write an article on "Perfecting the Static Release"? Maybe submit it to a traditional shooting magazine? Could I get a signed copy of it from you at the next Worlds?
Team Voodoo :bigsmyl2:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:32 pm 

Redbow said,n
"(Please do not start talking about American traditional 3d archery, with targets set out to 25 yards max, even with the worlds worst release you will hit the animal)"n
Ha! I can attest, from personal experience, that is not always true!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:33 pm 
Site Admin

If you guys want, I could start another forum titled "Bitter Losers and Their Sarcastic Wit."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 7:53 pm 

I told my local coach of my plans to move to the comfortable 3-finger release. He said that is fine, as long as I want my vertical spread (target grouping) to come back. Maybe I should add him to the sarcastic wit forum :)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:24 pm 

Steve, thanks for the suggestion about aligning the back of my hand with the string. I have since noticed that when I anchor, my hand follows the line of my jaw hence the extra pressure on my 3rd finger. Release is smoother now. That has also made it easier to try Redbow's suggestion of hooking into the first crease with the lower two fingers which felt pretty good first time around.

I'm not aware of whatever history there is between Redbow and Steve M but I for one am delighted to be getting help from them both. Redbow is also sending a book to a fellow archer he has never met halfway across the globe which makes him a top gent indeed. His gesture is very much appreciated. MacBow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 8:29 pm 

Todd Hathaway i like the bitter losers idea better than an arrogant winner thread!n I have always been good at bitter!!!!!!!n Voodoo archer you need to get your body out onto the range and out of Wallmart's knife section.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:16 pm 

Redbow,n
As for getting out to the range, you shot good round today!!!! What did you shoot again? 374? Just remember never disregard the powers of the Voodoo archery!!!!!!!!! Don't worry I am just a "Berry Picker" on this site you bunny killer!!!!! Gotta go make up some redbow dolls for the NAFAC.!!!LOL!!!!n
P.S. Redbow has not received his pin yet for cleaning the bunny- so its not official.
Team Voodoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:49 pm 

"Dolls", im outraged
Stop making up dolls and start making Arrows