[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - How much is too much?

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 12:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How much is too much?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:09 pm 

Post subject: Re: How much is too much?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:01 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:16 pm 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:58 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:54 am 

"I shot perhaps 60 arrows. Today I have shot some 90 arrows. And the result of this is of course that my shoulder and lower neck muscle is very sore right now - I really should have throught about that :| But I stopped as soon as I felt the ache, so it should go away easily."n
It's great to hear that you have taken to your bow. I can remember my first recurve and a set of easton aluminums some of which I quickly bent and by months end the anodized finish had worn off the tip end of the shafts.

I wouldn't change a thing you are doing, have fun, enjoy the boundless joy you feel as you shoot your bow and arrow. Make sure you take 1 or 2 rest days during the week from your archery to recover, maintain or back off your arrows shot if you are starting to feel muscle soreness. It is normal for you to feel some soreness as you start off and you build your shooting muscles. A good book or video tape on shooting makes for good reference if you don't have an archery tutor on hand.

It's good to have arrows quivered, and still more ready for action, but there is no required amount if you are shooting informally. If you are shooting with an elevated rest on your bow plastic fletch are fine, but if you are shooting off the shelf with a pad of some type, feathers are the fletch of choice.

Enjoy the shot.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:59 am 

nice to see you back on STAF Larry, we missed your wisdom :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:17 am 

Nice to see you posting again here Mr. Yien. I have always enjoyed your informative posts.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:02 am 

Thank you for the input everyone :) I am shooting again, but only 30 a time, and not everyday - it is snowing and raining here in Denmark, so the resting comes quite automatically. Yes, I figured that I just need to build my muscles up slowly, before I start shooting 100 arrows a day. But it is going very well. I'm focusing on my form, instead of where I aim (well, more or less. Wouldn't want to shoot outside the target), and I can already feel an improvement
Regarding the plastic vanes: I am shooting off the shelf, so it really should be feathers. But, when I bought the arrows, I was offered five new Easton X7 Eclipse for half their normal price - and I didn't want to say no to that :) Also, I figure that right now it is much more important to get my form right. Later on I will buy some more arrows, and then I will ask them to put feather vanes on my X7 arrows - that is possible, right?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:46 pm 
Site Admin

Khamul,
Sure, they can do that.
It sure sounds like you're doing everything right!n Great attitude about the form....most beginners want only to hit the target....you are unusually wise to devote your time to form right from the beginning!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:33 am 

The X7s are very fine shafts. I suggest you try to find a source of cheap shafts, perhaps wooden ones. Norway Pine is a good shaft wood. Later you will want to increase range and do casual shooting in the countryside and can expect to lose and break many arrows. I also suggest you get yourself a fletching jig so you can repair your own fletching and assemble your own arrows. It will be much cheaper in the long run to do that so you might as well get started. That jig, two kinds of glue, a pair of pliers and a candle are all you really need to repair and assemble your own from the components. Them and a little oil finish for wooden shafts.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:51 am 

Good to see yer still having fun!n
Yes, go slow to build up your muscles and endurance. Never allow your muscles to get really sore - tired is okay, consistently sore is a big mistake.
Do NOT use vanes! Use feathers only! Vanes are not forgiving enough for a newbie.

Do NOT use wooden arrows! Wooden arrows will never be consistent enough for a newbie. Use at least XX75 or better alums, or carbons. A great arrow is always better than a great bow.

Have more fun!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Oh yeah....when you get outside, and start working on accuracy, you'll want to do some bare shaft tuning with your shafts!n
As Rob said, don't try to use wood arrows.....at least until you know how a well tuned, straight, consistent arrow flies. Then you can work on making some good woodies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:35 am 

I like wooden arrows, especially for casual practice in the forests and meadows. And I'd rather lose a cheap arrow I had assembled myself than a costly X7. With costly arrows I hesitate to take risky shots, and taking risky shots makes me a better archer, and a better person.