[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Larry's New Bow

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Larry's New Bow
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:06 pm 

Larryn
When are you going to post some pictures of your new Fox Longbow?

Post subject: Re: Larry's New Bow
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 5:59 pm 

Hank, your timing is spot on, I spend some time last night trying to post some pictures of my new bow on staf, but to no avail. I sent them to Todd hoping he could post them for me.

Here is the addy to view them and we can still talk about them. I truly like this bow and am heading off to the range to get some shooting in today. It is everything I ask for in a bow and I plan on taking one to Australia for the 2006 IFAA Worlds.

The bow is a Fox Archery longbow, codename: Triple Crown :)
[url=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stickbow1@sbcglobal.
et/my_photos]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/stickbow1@sbcglobal.
et/my_photos[/url]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:21 pm 

Larry,n
Please tell me they make those at least 68" long (70" would be better - lol)?n
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:34 pm 

Dave-a most excellent question. The answer is yes, the bow in the picture is 68". You will need to call Ron King and ask him if a 70" is available, I bet they are.

Larry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 10:13 pm 

Larry,n
I visited the Fox Archery web site and they don't show the "Triple Crown". Was this a prototype or one they made just for you? Or, did I visit the wrong "Fox Archery"?n
Any info would be appreciated.

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:27 am 

Dave, this bow is available, but it is so new that it isn't up on the site yet. It needs a slight adjustment in the lam lay-up to make it IFAA legal.

I apologize for the crummy pictures, the lighting was poor. I will try to get some new ones tomorrow in morning light. The bow is drop dead gorgeous, like Fox Archery bows are known for. But what really appeals to me is it has all the elements that I want in a bow, relative mass in the handle/riser section, long riser section, efficient limb design, and IFAA legal.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:41 am 

Larry,n
It's the riser that makes me interested in this one. I am the worlds biggest wimp when it comes to hand shock. This is the first "longbow" I've seen in a long time that looks like I could shoot it with no pain. In my advancing years "no pain" had a lot of appeal (LOL).

Thanks for telling me/us about this one!n
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:55 am 

Handshock is an interesting topic, sometimes subtle sometimes painfully obvious. Most of my longbows have very little shock or what I call a bump. But when I shoot my recurves they seem so smooth, no shock at all. I've got a commemortive Howard Hill longbow that feels like someone hit me with a hammer, ouch! It's commemortive alright in a bad way. In fact I need to send it off to Craig to see if he can smooth it out for me.

The Fox has a small bump in it that disappeared once I put my sling on. I hope these ramblings have some sense to them. The handle section is some of the best work I've seen. BTW it performs en par or slightly better than my hot rod Buddy and Jim 21st Edge. At this point I am not so concerned with speed as I am with stability and quality.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:46 am 

Larry -- is there carbon in the Fox anywhere? And thanks for posting the pictures.

Hank

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:00 pm 

Larry -- more questions if you don't mind. What is the overall mass weight of the bow and what is the length of the riser from fadeout to fadeout (as compared to your 21st Century Edge)n
Thanks againn
Hank

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 1:53 pm 

A few things:
I've posted some better pictures with natural lighting of the Triple Crown, check them out.
I will get the weights and lengths later today.

No carbon lams in this bow, which makes for one less decision when ordering. :)
I am off to the range to shoot right now.

Cheers,n
Larry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 2:03 pm 

I'm not going to try and take anything away from Ron King or Fox bows, he is a great person and his bows are tops, but I would say if you like his bows, go to and take a look at those. Both Ron and Norm make a very similar bow and they shoot surprisingly similar. I own a Blacktail and have shot several Fox. It would be hard for me to choose another between the two.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:36 pm 

Cedar, I would agree with your statement in regards to the Fox and the Blacktail recurves I've seen the bows they both have made for past PBS Banquets and they are gorgeous.

But when we are looking at "hybrid" longbows the Triple Crown in comparison with Norm's Columbian, well, there is no comparison. Well, let me say that they are both classified as longbows, and you could shoot both at an IFAA tournament, and you could certainly hunt with either bow. But my choice would be the Triple Crown over the Columbian hands down! I understand that yours would be with the Columbian. :)
Larry

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:13 pm 

Larry, I guess I wasn't being specific concerning models. I was just throwing out some general information to try and give people here other options. I do own a Blacktail Elite TD recurve, a Blacktail Columbian, and a Wes Wallace Mentor TD recurve. I like them all, they shoot great for hunting and 3D purposes. I have shot Fox longbows, but never the Triple Crown you are referring to. I see where you said it was new. I agree with you that there is some beautiful craftsmanship put into the bows by both men. I will have to shoot a Triple Crown the next time I see Ron at a shoot. I was tempted to buy one of Ron's 66" longbows last year, but fought off the urge. LOL. Have a good day, John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:24 am 

John/cedar, it's good that you share your information and your experiences here on staf and other boards, that is the beauty of the internet and our brotherhood of Archers.

I was a bit perplexed by your initial statement when you said "Both Ron and Norm make a very similar bow and they shoot surprisingly similar. I own a Blacktail and have shot several Fox. It would be hard for me to choose another between the two." Since I am unaware of any bow that Norm makes that is even remotely close to the Triple Crown. The Triple Crown is a new bow and it is the topic of this thread, Larry's new bow = Fox Archery Triple Crown.

If it's fine bows folks should try out we could fill out a long list, not just Norm's. How about Dick Robertson, Craig Ekin, John McCullough, etc. Regardless of our preferences, it is good to have you here and I look forward to reading your posts in the future.

Larry