[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Point of Aim vs Gap

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Point of Aim vs Gap
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:36 pm 

I know the question might be how I could shoot enough field or 3-D in a week to know but I am very lucky to be retired, have a doc that insists I get out and walk a lot, and own and operate a full 28 target field range with an attached 25 target 3-D range. As the tournament season is now over in the mountains of Virginia I have it all to myself. Dave we are trying to bring back field archery but right now it is not a money maker, even so, that range stays if for no other reason than I enjoy it. Looks like I need to get the 3-D range down as some clown used a deer target for hunting practice with a shotgun I found today. Between that and the theft of two stands I am about to get a little mad. Sometimes I wished I was still in lawenforcement.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:38 pm 

Scratch that last sentence.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:21 pm 

Thanks for the gentle reminder on addressing how I aim on a field range, scooter :) . When I say I shoot instinctively "I mean it", but it isn't what some of us accept as the definition of instinctive.

I use various "barebow" techniques for aiming or more specifically to get me close to "on target." At the closer targets like the birdies and 15 yarder I use "pick a point" which is a variation on "point of aim." The reason I use "pick a point" is because the gap is rather large. I shoot "gap" out to 30 yards. My "point on" is 35 yards. I "stack" after 35 yards which is like "pick a point" although some would call it "reverse gapping."n
So, back to my claim of shooting instinctive. The aforementioned "barebow" techniques get me into the ballpark of hitting the target. From that point I allow the aiming to become almost subconsious and "float" allowing the instinctive or intuitive aiming to take over and more importantly the shot to occur. I'd call it "hybrid barebow" for lack of a better term. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:31 pm 

Another analogy building on Larry's definition of 'instinctive' -- instinctive is like a heat-seeking missile -- you need to use various 'barebow techniques' to get you in the ballpark -- that is, close enough to feel 'the heat' -- then let the instinctive take over. If you don't have techniques for 'getting you close enough to feel the heat', your highly accurate heat-seeking pure instinctive can drift off into space, hitting nothing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:04 am 

Ooooh! Good analogy!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:26 am 

I must be missing the gene you guys have for this "instinctive" thing that lets you "float" or "feel the heat". If either one of those become a part of my shot execution it means I just missed (LOL).

As a long time handgun shooter who always used my sights I guess I'm doomed to keep aiming for every arrow.

Dave

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:06 am 

The bugaboo for all sightless archers are the long marks - one can always find a decent way of aiming the arrow for the short marks (thus, the arrow becomes an integral part of aiming).
I dunno of any archer that can shoot with consistent accuracy on varied distance marks without using some form of aiming methodology, direct or indirect.

Accurate, consistent, "instinctive" aiming is a myth. All valid aiming methodolgies involve some type of physical aiming referencing.
At least for us mere mortals - I can't vouch for the "heavies". :D

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:26 am 

Rob: I agree with you on the long marks- when the shoulder of the pile, the point, of the arrow is so near the line of sight, it would be foolish, and perhaps impossible to not use it as a concious reference.
I have a long draw, so this occurs at considerable distance even with light tackle, beyond 50 yards. And I gap shoot out there-- focussing on the center of the target but well aware of the arrow and the gap.

And I may feel the need to do that at 45 and 40 yards if my shooting is not going well. If it is going badly in competition I may even stoop to point of aim, as I have said in another thread.

But on a good day, and when my highest scores have come, I very seriously focus on the exact center of the target and strive to ignore the gap. I seek the sight of arrow in flight dropping into the exact center of the mark. When the force is strong in me, it sometimes happens. Sometimes it happens twice, rarely even thrice. Never four times. The fourth shot may score as well, but the magic will be gone from it. These things are fleeting.

At the short distances, and with my long draw, the gap is in feet and useless to me for aiming. So I see the X, the center of the X, and I strive and I seek. If I see it well enough...it is gone!n
But that is just me.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 6:22 am 

When yer in The Zone, ya can't miss. Been there more'n a few times m'self and it's a mystical experience. Too bad we can't bottle that mojo up and sell it. :D

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:32 am 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:08 pm 

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:21 pm 

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:30 am 

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 12:35 am 

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 5:49 am 

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next