[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Focus

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Focus
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:20 pm 
Site Admin

I want to learn to focus better. And by that, I mean: when competing, I want to only think about the feeling of the shot and the aim. Currently millions of things run through my brain, like what others are thinking, what the prizes are, how much the score matters, etc, etc.

I know focus and concentration can be improved with meditation, but that way is hard to measure improvement. I'd like a software program, or some sort of game that shows direct, hard evidence of improved focus/concentration. Anyone know of any gadgets or programs out there that do this?n
I saw a biofeedback system on one website that looked awesome, but the price was only available by special request. I'm guessing that means it's out of my price range.

Post subject: Re: Focus
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:43 pm 

My tip is not to focus all the time, seen so many archers burn out before the end of the tourney.
Me I'm relaxed and not thinking much about my shooting until I step up to that peg, that way I seem to get through the tourney without burning out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:31 pm 

Todd -n
Have to go with Steve on this one. (Long time no speak Steve, hope all is well.) First, glad you used the word focus, and not concentration - big difference. Think of focus, like focusing a camera, the "focal point" is clear, everything else is still there, but a blur.
I'll take what Steve said, and possibly go a step further. As you "step up to the peg", you are beginning to foucs, and the focus gets shaper and sharper as the draw and anchor commence and lock. That way the hard focus need only last a second or two, and you don't get the burn out that Steve referred to.

Viper out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:17 am 
Site Admin

I've never actually consciously tried to focus before. I've always assumed it was a skill that was automatically improved alongside the physical skills
The conscious ability I think I want is more about tuning out the distractions than zeroing in on the target
I see it as being similar to having two people talk to me at the same time and being able to focus in on what only one of them is saying
Perhaps I could simulate distractions while shooting, so I could practice ignoring them. Any ideas on what I could use?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:06 pm 

I went to a practice session today at a range that has a JOAD program on Saturdays. Usually there are half a dozen kids there but today a large bunch showed up (between 10-15). As you can imagine, it was very noisy and there was a good deal of comotion behind the shooting line.

My performance today was just awful and for the first hour I couldn't figure out what was wrong. In the last 30 minutes I was there I came to realize I was not able to shut out all the distracting noise the kids were making. I had lost my "focus" and it showed in my very inconsistant shooting.

By the time I figured out what I was doing wrong I had to leave but it was a good lesson in how important some level of focus is. I was very inconsistant in my shot execution and I think it was just a lack of focus.

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:45 pm 

Todd and Dave -n
You actually both made my point.
Todd - you're talking about blocking out distractions. Unless you're in a VERY controlled environment, and that by definition excludes any hunting situation, the last thing you want to do is block out your surroundings, and so loose your situational awareness. Just too dangerous.

Dave - Same thing happened to me, yesterday and the day before, The range was inundated with kids both well behaved and not so well behaved. I went from shooting literally bullseye sized groups (and a robinhood, I might add) before they showed up, to maybe a 3 ring sized group after they were there.
Could I have shot better if I "blocked them out", sure, but given the possibility of one of them doing something dumb, and presenting a hazardous situation, and me seeing it BEFORE it happened was more inmportant than a tighter group. After a while, I just sat down and watched till they left. Samething for a hunting situation, you need to focus on the spot on the animal, but NOT to the exclusion of not seeing the other hunter behind the target, who doesn't see you.
Viper out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:12 am 

Hey Todd,n
As a long time meditator and having spend the last 20 years attempting to learn to focus and think clearly, here are a couple of my favorite meditations.

1. A calming exerize to start and get rid of distractions. Envision your mind as a lake with big rocks sticking out. The rocks are thoughts. Now move the rocks over the horizon without causing ripples. If you can get to clear blue water without making new rocks by thinking of anything other than clear blue water, you should be calm.

2. Now a real focus one. Count to 10 and think of nothing but the number on an opaque background. Think of absolutely nothing else, not the next number, not if it is sunny. When you can get to ten, do it twice. This is much harder than it sounds. When it gets to where you can count to ten a couple times, slow down and do one number per breath. After 20 years I can usually get to 10 at a breathing pace by the sixth or seventh try.

3. In everyday life, occasionally notice if you are thinking only of what you are doing. If not, think about what you are doing. This can help to slow the torrent of thinking over time.
Good luck and let me know if you figure out how to focus on demand no matter what is going on around you. We can write a book and get rich.
PM me if you want more meditation aids.
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:39 am 
Site Admin

Paul,
Thanks for the interesting meditations. I am familiar with some of he principles of meditation, having read quite a bit about it, but never wholeheartedly devoting myself to it. Progress is a good motivator, and when it is not obvious or measureable, one tends to give up :)
I had an old Karate instructor from Japan named Hidy Ochiai who once said to practice focusing on only one thing and nothing else for as long as you could. He said the most advanced student would have a hard time completely focusing for even 10 seconds.

I think some must have a natural ability then, if such practic does so little to improve it.

Have you ever known someone who can't even hear you because they are so focused on what they are doing? Maybe that's something different, but that's how I'd like to be able to shoot!