[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - surprise release?age old question

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: surprise release?age old question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:52 am 

what is the correct way to release the arrow?...I know I know...dont release just let it go...but should it be a surprise?....I personally know right down to the milisecond when the arrow is going off...its deliberate...how do you guys do it?

Post subject: Re: surprise release?age old question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:47 am 

I'll quote coach Bernie Pellurite: "rip your fingers off the string" and (if you keep drawing and drawing) "I'm betting that at some point your fingers will come off the string."n
I like those thoughts and try to do a long and lively release, with my elbow flying to the rear, Olympic fashion. I haven't won any international titles with it, just a few state (senior) ones.

I suspect many hereabouts use a more 'dead' release and I hope they will respond to the issue you have raised.

Me, I strive for a at least some surprise. Now and then I get one that is more than a surprise- it is a total shock. I know where to find that arrow, usually in the x ring.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:36 pm 

Interesting that this comes up, after the day I had today (LOL). Shot in a Senior Olympics event (American 900 round) and did so poorly I didn't even finish. My release abandoned me after the two warm up ends. Don't know where it went but I gotta find that sucker (lol again).
Years ago I started with a pretty dead release, which worked surprisingly well except when it didn't. Plucking to the side would show up enough to ruin some otherwise decent performances.

Tried to get this pull through thing down but it just doesn't work for me. It takes me a while to get the bow arm/hand settled on my point of aim. When I try to "pull through" I either over draw before it goes off, or I pluck the string like a two-bit banjo player. Yuck!n
On advice from Viper, I found the only thing that works is to go from locked on target to the follow through position. The release usually takes care of its self in between there.

Don't know what happened today but I see at least a hour of blank bale work for tomorrow. (smiley face goes here)n
Dave

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:01 am 
Site Admin

I, too, am a fan of the dynamic or pull-through release. Takes years to perfect it though.

I, like Dave, am also a fan of Viper's advice: don't think release, think follow though.

First, concentrate on getting that perfect release in practice. When you know you made a great release, take note of where your hand is. Then for future shots, remember where that hand is supposed to be after a clean release, and think about it ending up there instead of thinking "release".

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:15 am 

IMHO, don't expect to have a surprise release *using fingers* if you don't use a clicker of some type. When using a clicker you are lining up your sight (or arrow point, whatever...) in the process of drawing/anchoring the arrow. As you continue to draw the clicker goes off and (if all systems are "go") you release and follow-through. You didn't know when the clicker was going to go off, the decision took nanoseconds, therefore it was a surprise. When not using a clicker your mind "consciously determines" when you are going to release the string...... therefore there can be no surprise, just a point in your checklist where you've decided that all systems are go. Your decision time may be 1/2 sec. or LONGER. It's NOT IMPOSSIBLE to get a lively release without a clicker but it's a lot easier to get one with a clicker. Without a clicker you've got to prevent your muscles from starting to relax during that "1/2 sec. or longer" decision process (i.e. anticipating the release). I'm sorry this got windy. - John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:57 am 

Guys -
Thanks, I guess, I don't have to reply on this one, huh? :bigsmyl2:
Viper out.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:14 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:55 am 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:00 pm