[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - POA shooters -Howard Hill

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: POA shooters -Howard Hill
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:49 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:24 am 

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:45 pm 

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:23 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:42 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:14 am 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:55 am 

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:31 am 

[QUOTE] A true instinctive shot would be attempting to launch a broadhead at a snorting pig in total black darkness. [\QUOTE]n
Actually, I think Todd has the right idea -- 'instinctive' is a vaguely defined term whose main purpose is to elicit argument :)
Thus, shooting at the snorting pig in total darkness would be shooting by ear and by feel, drawing upon experience and who knows what else. But, if we call it instinctive, we could get into trouble :)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:35 am 

Actually, I call all soft sight aiming "instinctive" - but that's not a proper definition of "instinct" anything.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:39 am 

I like your term "soft sight aiming" -- meaning no firm references, conscious or unconscious? Sounds like it describes what we are talking about.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:42 am 

Umm, yep.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:03 am 
Site Admin

I still think you are confusing the term instinct with "feel" or proprioception. Either that or you are using only one part of the definition of instinct (innate ability) and refusing to acknowledge that there is a second definition and that is: "below the level of consciousness." Driving a car after so many years becomes instinctive--you do not need to think about every action---however I wouldn't want to do it with my eyes closed.

Personally, I think instinctinve archery SHOULD be defined as "shooting be feel", and nothing more. That is how most archers perceive the term.

But it isn't defined as that -- thus the differences of opinion. We disagree on word definition, not on principles of shooting.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:39 pm 

"Shooting by feel" - as good a definition of true "instinctive archery" as it gets. But I dunno of any archer shooting/aiming that way, and if they do they're not good archers (in the sense of hitting their marks consistently). We may call ourselves "instinctive archers" but we all employ some form of soft sight aiming, and that'll include either gap, POA, trajectory, or some combination thereof.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Right, so maybe a better way to describe how one aims is 1) conscious visual reference 2) Unconscious visual reference (most traditional people fall into this category, even if they don't admit it and claim to use number 3) Shooting by feel only (rare but possible...if usually inaccurate).

If you want someone to prove they can shoot by feel only, tell them to close their dominant eye when they shoot and see how well they do! :)

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 11:24 pm 

Longbowguy
Pease accept my apologies, I agree that was pretty aggressive
But sometimes it is needed to get to the true story
First congratulations of your tournament wins.

As for the truth of the matter, well the truth is out there and it is the various archery organizations records, anything other is just talk. Shooting on a range is not the same as shooting under tournament conditionsn Now lets look at what you saidn
"The other shoots 80 to 100 pound Howard Hill longbows and heavy 3/8" shafts. I believe he shoots purely instinctively-- he is even unsure of what his point on range is, probably more than 70 yards. And he regularly shoots in the 160s and 170s on the 14 target field courses at our club, rapid fire."n
I have a problem with the words "I believe and probablyn I am not calling you a lair, but I am saying when you come onto this forum you find that you have to back up what you say. Stating what you believe to be probably so does not make it a truth!n
I hope you had a great time shooting with larry, it is always an experience to shoot with him.

But I am confused by your statement about tournament tackle, can you tell use what you define as such?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next