[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - An answer from Kisik Lee

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: An answer from Kisik Lee
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:30 am 
Site Admin

Well, I asked Mr. Kisik Lee if he felt his method was applicable to the "traditional" style of shooting. In other words, could proper back tension and bone alignment be achieved by an archer who anchors on the side of the face, cants his bow, and leans his head over the arrow.

I'm not sure if the question was understood, but this was the simple response:n
“I believe that they can use 100% KSL Back tension, because this is the fundamental technique in any kind of bow”.

-Robert de Bondt (for Mr. Lee)n
The reason I am not sure he understood the question is that he says "...any kind of bow."n The kind of bow being shot is irrelevant to my question.

Oh well. For what it's worth.

Post subject: Re: An answer from Kisik Lee
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:54 am 

Makes sense. I shoot with Olympic recurve archers who have converted to Kisik's style -- because his definition of 'anchor' is when the scapula come together, their draws have lengthened -- they all now use side anchors that are much farther back than their originals.

THE key to using his kind of back tension is to keep both shoulders down -- most people cannot do that AND use a high draw -- although it certainly seems as though it should be possible -- so for me, I had to decide to give up my high draw, which I love, or work through it -- I decided to work through it, and am not succeeding very well

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:49 am 

Todd -
Using "back tension" probably gets more people into trouble than it helps. We don't think that way, "getting the shoulder blades together" makes about as much sense as naming each muscle being used during the draw. That's why I responed to Arc the way I did in the other post. Forget back tension and just get the follow-through right. If that works, then the release doesn't exist and back tension had to be correct - it's really that simple.

As for your original question - a side anchor promotes BETTER alignment than the typical under or side of the chin anchor as it's typcially allows the drawing arm to rotate further back. (It's also a more solid anchor if done correctly.) That's also why compound shooters with releases have a distinct advantage with alignment. With the release aid their arms are so far back that it forces better alignment (too bad most compound guys don't know how to exploit it). When I'm coaching FITA/target types I always start them with a corner of the mouth anchor and don't switch to the lower anchor until the alignment becomes naturat (and they need the longer distance on the sight bars.)
Sorry, Mr. Lee isn't really doing anything new, just a new spin on stuff most of us have known for years.
Viper out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:52 am 

The follow-through is a result of what you do just before it. It is true that if you get the follow through right, you will do fine. I believe that paying a little attention to what you are doing just BEFORE the follow through is one way to get the follow through right.

My experience tells me that the smoothest release comes when I shoot 'in motion'. However, when I 'hold still' and release, things get rough.

So, if I shoot as the sight picture becomes perfect, my release is great. BUT, my accuracy suffers because just before the release, I was off target, and just after the release I will also be offtarget. So the question is, how can I shoot "in motion" and still be accurate. My conclusion is that my motion must be in line with the flight of the arrow. What is the best way to do this? If you 'expand' by pulling your shoulder blades together, it provides for a very smooth release.
Viper, you should be pleased with this reasoning. It comes from my personal experience of what provides the smoothest release and what its drawbacks are, supplemented with what the best archers in the world have adopted as their solution. I will let you know if it works for me (personal experience again) :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:25 am 

Arc -
I agree that the "motion must be in line with the flight of the arrow". That's the whole point. It just seems that some people, including Mr. Lee seem to make more of it that it really needs to be.
Think about it this way: If you're at anchor and not moving at all, the force exerted by the bowstring is in equibrium with the force exerted by the drawing hand/arm, call it back tension if you like. That's not exactly what you want when the string leaves the fingers. (Equilibrium is a very percarious state to be in.) The drawing hand needs to be moving back (winning the battle so to speak) as the string leaves, so in effect the follow through has already begun, and will just continue to it's end point. Except for establishing the alignment, what you do before that instant is meaningles.
Think that's what you already found out.
Viper out.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:46 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:00 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:09 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:39 am 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:15 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:09 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:13 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:38 am 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:09 am 

Click on Physical -SPT 1-4 on the site. Item 4 and accompanying picture details the exercise that Arc -caster is describing along with some others.
Viper, the bands are used like an extremely light bow for shot practice. You can really feel the muscles work and contract and function, as you are not working so hard to draw hold and expand. I don't think the stretch band give you the feed back on follow through as the formaster. A combination of both is probably best. What I would recommend (and do) is use the bands when trying or practicing a new technique, Once you believe it is ingrained. Switch to drawing holding exercises with the formaster and final standard shooting and follow through work with the FM.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:34 am