[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Muzzy stump shoot

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 10:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Muzzy stump shoot
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:48 pm 

Can someone give me info about the Muzzy stump shoot ? would like to know targets used, distances involved, scoring etc. We have a new trad club here and want to shoot something beside 3D. We also have a major 3D compound club close by that wants to start a trad get togather and we are looking at alternatives to the things one normally sees. I have talked them into a field half (14 targets) scored like the old targets (5&3) at the full distances as well as a 3D and we need one more round for day three so I am interested in the muzzy shoot. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Muzzy stump shoot
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:23 am 

Todd's THE man to answer yer questions about the Muzzy Shoot - I'm sure he'll chime in here real soon.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:58 am 
Site Admin

Targets used in the muzzy shoot are either a 5x5 foam block or an 8x10 foam block. The smaller one is for the closer shots (10 to 20 yards) and the 8x10's are used out to 50 yards. I'd say the average shot distance is probably 35 yards.

The target is velcroed to a stump or log, and the object is to dislodge it from its perch.
It's a one on one shoot...so you never shoot against the entire field, only the guy you are walking the course with. If you want details of the rules, let me know.

The shots are almost all tricky shots, meaning you have to sit, twist, avoid limbs, thread "needles", etc.

The foam was a special, dense, multi-layer foam that John Mussachia, Sr. had custom made. The only ones I know of are packed in boxes in the barn on his property (he had enough made to last for decades). So getting good quality targets may be tough.

I've made my own from those cheap broadhead foam targets by cutting them up, but they don't last long.

Let me know if you want more info!n -Todd

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:19 pm 

Do you use field points or blunts ? I think this sounds like a great idea. I like the distances to sounds like a good shoot. Is it scored by the amount of targets knocked off. I have access to some dense foam and will try it this week.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:34 pm 
Site Admin

Judo heads are used to minimize lost arrows/searching time.

The first round is a seeding round and everyone shoots a full course (28 targets). It's usually a shotgun start with every station occupied to minimize waiting.

After this round, the brackets are made (top score on top of bracket, second highest at bottom, etc.)n Then when the actual competition starts, only 14 targets are shot per round.

A coin is tossed to determine who shoots first. Winner of the toss picks whether he shoots first at the odd stations or the even ones.

Shooters must touch the stake with their lead foot or knee, and be behind it.

First shooter shoots and if he knocks it off, he gets one point and they move to the next target.

If he misses, the other guy shoots. If he knocks it down, he gets the point and they move on.
However, If he misses, they repeat the sequence one more time, so if nobody hits the target at all, each shooter would have taken 2 shots.

If the block falls for any reason before the next shooter shoots, it counts as a point whether the arrow hit it or not (it's possible to hit the post or stump and wobble it enough to knock the foam off).

Also, if an arrow does hit it and it does not fall, it is not a point, even if the arrow is sticking straight through the middle...unless the arrow itself is what is holding the block on the stump.

Archers are divided into only 2 classes, Longbow and Recurve.
If the string only touches the limb nocks, it is a longbow.

No sighting devices on the bow, no stabilizers, and no release aids other than gloves, tabs, or thumb rings.

There are no rules against string walking, face walking, or three under.
There are no restrictions on arrow materials.

In the event of a tie, there is a supervised shootoff with each archer getting equal number of shots at a block until one knocks it off and the other does not.

I prefer a single elimination tournament, but Muzzy divides the competition into classes. If you lose the first round you go to B division. If you lose your first round in B you go to C.

If you win your first round in A or B then lose the next round, you are done.

There are separate rules for women and children, but I don't know them :)
The Muzzy shoot usually has 100 to 140 shooters, and is spread over two days. So if you have a large number of competitors, you might not be able to finish it in a day.

There are 1st through 4th places for Recurve and the same for Longbow. Then the Recurve winner shoots against the Longbow winner for 28 targets to determine an overall winner.

This is all off the top of my head, so if I didn't cover something, let me know.

-Todd