[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Ifaa World bowhunter champs

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ifaa World bowhunter champs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:08 am 

The Ifaa world bowhunter champs in Switzerland will take during the first week of July 07
Myself and 3 other archers will make the trip to the Alps
I will document our build up for this shoot on Staf
The other members of this endeavor are Tim Vanvooris form Florida, who in my opinion is currently the best wooden arrow field longbow shooter in America. Lucky for me he is a veteran
Steve Morley form England is one of the best all-round archers in the world and a 04 Ifaa world field championn The most important member of out band is Chris A, who is Swiss and comes form the area where the shoot is been held, He has arranged all the entries and hotel booking.

The shoot is unmarked field with a max range of 60 yards 28 targets shot on each of the 4 days of the tournament. There will be 2 days of paper animals and 2 days of 3ds, all this will take place at over 5000ft above sea level.

I have never shot well the Ifaa worlds so this time around I want to try for a top 10 spot
There will be over 200 longbow archers taking part in this shoot and Ifaa is their game, so shooting for a top 10 spot is a huge deal for me
I really think that Tim Vanvooris can do some damage in the Alps, it is going to be an experience shooting with him in Europe
Steve Morley is in the process of rebuilding his game due to some major dental work. So he will have to add to this journal with his own feeling and insights.

The Ifaa Longbow division is shot with wooden arrows and D shaped longbows i.e. Hill profile bows showing no reflex. We will all be shooting 21st century Edge models in the 45 to 50 lbs range with arrows in the 410 to 440 grain range.

For this tournament I have started to shoot 28 Ifaa field 3 times a week and daily yard practice for form
Today i shot a poor field round for 339 but my overall sight picture was good with arrows missing by inches rather than missing the target, in the next few months i hope to be shooting in the 350s which i have never done in a practice round.

Your turn Steve M.

Post subject: Re: Ifaa World bowhunter champs
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:24 am 

Redbow,n
Good luck in Europe and congrats on your NAFAC win!n
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:52 am 
Site Admin

No Eric, eh? Must be you scared him off after NAFAC '06
Keep posting your progress, I think that's a cool idea. Actually I think I'll make a separate forum dedicated to keeping track of one's training! You can post daily routines, score, thoughts, gear setups, etc. Probably be fun to look at a year from now.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:24 pm 

Just wanted to thank Dana (Redbow) for pulling strings to get me in to the World Bowhunters.

It's been a while since I dropped in here so I just thought I would update you as to what been going on. Last year was pretty rough for me with two operations on my jaw one of them I had some complications which put me back in hospital, the whole experience had an impact on my shooting not being able to practise much, in Oct I entered the world 3D chanps in hungary but was forced to retire after just one days shooting, the scar tissue inside my mouth split open due to the pressure of shooting and was forced to quite shooting for a few months.

In January I was given the all clear from the Doctors to start shooting again, I've had to almost start from scratch first building strength and then working on shooting form. I've been focused on the 300 round as it's a good form builder (no complications of changing distance) I'm booked into the World indoor champs in Germany an although my scores are ok I've still got a long way to travel, I hope by the time Switzerland comes round I'll be ready to give some of those superb European Longbow shooters a run for their money.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:33 pm 

Good luck guys. Bring home the gold to STAF. Keep us posted.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:42 pm 

Redbow et al:n
Could we have a little more info about those arrows? I have been using the Rogue River shafts, 11/32 butt tapered with 100 grain points, left long for about 490 grains. Do you chaps use 11/32 or 5/16? Does anybody know if 70 or lighter points are allowed in all events?n
As most know, Rogue River has sold their shaft making equipment and goodwill to Wapiti Archery. They are now filling orders and I just got some shafts. They look similar to RR shafts but I have not yet worked with them. In the meantime I'm hoarding my old supply.

And while we are at it would anyone care to discuss the split finger hold, Mediterranean loose, versus three fingers under? I use split with hunting arrows but get excessively long point-on/blank ranges with target tackle. So I compete at targets with three fingers under. What is the norm in international competition?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 4:54 am 

we are all using RR 11/32 with a 5/16 taper, you can use any point weight you like.

International Longbow rules only allow Split finger release with one consistent anchor point i.e. no face walking. I never understood the NFAA's desision to allow 3 under in Longbow as it's not allowed in international tourneys and doesn't help American Longbows, same as the proposal to limit Longbows to 50 yards on Field courses it doesn't help Americans in competing abroad.

It would be interesting to know if any American Longbows shot this years world indoor mail match and if they shot them to NFAA rules or IFAA rules.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 9:09 am 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:14 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:22 pm 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:33 am 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:04 am 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:21 pm