[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Question about Target Recurves

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about Target Recurves
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

I know next to nothing about Target Recurves, but I want to get one. I'm sure this goes without saying, but it has to have a stabilizer receptacle and it has to be cut well past center kinda like a compound riser.

I bought a LAZ-AIR trainer on eBay that I want to use to practice form (how's that for straying from the traditional path!?)n
I currently have an old recurve that has a stabilizer receptacle, but being that it isn't cut past center, the LAZ-AIR "plunger" has to bend around the riser to attach to the string....and I can see it breaking if I use it that way.

So is there anything out there for less than $150....or how do I know if a bow is past center shot enough that it will work?n
For example, is cheap, and might do the trick, but I don't know if it's cut past center. If it's called a target bow, can I assume it is cut past center?

Post subject: Re: Question about Target Recurves
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:49 pm 
Site Admin

Oh yeah, I also want it to be about 45#, but very few of the target recurves I looked at go higher than 35#.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:17 am 

You didn't say what kinda "target" - freestyle or barebow, FITA or 3D, or .... ?

The typical target recurve will have long limbs (I think you draw 28" or longer, so a 66" to 70" bow), metal riser cut well past center, drilled at least for forward stabilizer, drilled for plunger, drilled for a specialty rest, drilled for sights (or is this for barebow target?), adjustable limb tillering is a nice feature.

For $150 outlay, you need to look at the used classifieds.

Hoyt GM with wood/glass limbs still makes for a fine target bow, IMO - and you can progress to the whiz-bang stuff as needed. The GM will be better than you and you can concentrate on getting (and building) yer arrows - skinny carbons with tiny Kurly or Spin Wings vanes.

That 60" PSE "target bow" would be a joke for anything more than barebow 3D.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:27 am 
Site Admin

Rob,n
Thanks for the reply.

The only thing I plan on using the bow for is attaching the LAZ-AIR trainer to so I can draw and release. I have no desire to shoot a single arrow from it. So the only requisite is a stabilizer receiver and past center-cut. I just didn't know how I would know if a specific bow would be cut past center enough.

The LAZ-AIR maker claims it will work with any recurve that you can attach a stabilizer to, but clearly it is not the case, as it did not work with an old hunting recurve I had that was not cut past center.

Do you think the PSE bow I linked to is cut "well past center?"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:32 am 

Ah, I see now.
Dunno 'bout the center cut on that PSE bow - I'd give PSE a call to confirm ...
520-884-9065n 7AM-3:30PM MST

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

I called 'em. The girl who answered said it was not a center-shot bow.....but, she didn't sound like she knew exactly what I was talking about. Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:16 pm 

I don't think PSE makes or offers a metal riser bow that's not at least 5/32" past center.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:39 pm 

Try an internature Bullseye.

n
I bought a 62" version for my 11 year old son
It's drilled for a stabilizer and a plunger and it's centershot.
I'm new to the sport and my shooting s***s so I'm thinking of getting one of these myself in a 38lb draw.
I hop[e this helps.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Steve
Thanks for the post. That does look like it would fit the bill. However, I decided to use the original setup I have, and deal with the slight bend around the riser. It seems to be doing ok so far.

In my opinion the laser part of the LAZ-AIR trainer is a bit useless. There is so much movement inherent in the "shock absorbing" action of the device that it could be shot from a stable machine and would still flop all over the place.

I do however like shooting for form indoors and not worrying about arrows...I don't need the visual feedback of the laser to work on my form.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:53 pm 

Todd, one other way you can shoot for form indoors is with a formaster. You will find yourself with a nice positive release too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:27 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, I have one, but I wanted to practice my predraw sight picture, and post-draw gap acquisition....which means having an arrow or arrow like component coming off the front of the bow to use as my visual reference. If I used an arrow and the formaster, I'd be limited to shooting in front of a target to stop the arrow.

Plus, there is something to be said for the actual feel of the bow completing it's relatively normal mechanics with the LAZ-AIR.

Formaster kinda feels like the dry heaves or something. :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:20 pm 

My thought also -- I have an arrow duct-taped to the string so I can sight.

As for dry heaves -- hmmm -- sounds like you are saying that shooting a real arrow at a real target is like projectile vomitting?