[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - tuning for all distances

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tuning for all distances
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:14 am 

Post subject: Re: tuning for all distances
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:03 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:35 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:52 pm 

Hi Todd,n
I don't understand it either. I experienced it (that is, at 20 yards, my arrows hit where I aim -- and as I moved back, they started to group to the right -- by the time I had backed up to 50 yards, they were a good foot to the right).

So, I looked it up in the Tuning For Tens article
n
I found my diagnosis in 6B (Pattern Analysis of the Falling Groups), acted on their suggestions, and fixed the problem.

So, I can recognize the problem, I can fix the problem, but I don't really understand it. Figured conversations with you all might set me straight :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:58 pm 

Jack,n
Yes, I have done that kind of thing to get arrows flying right at 20 yards. And, as Todd points out, once you get it for 20 yards, the other distances SHOULD work as well.

For me, the other distances HAVE worked for off the shelf -- they have required more tuning refinements to work with plunger buttons.

My sample size is pretty small -- a couple of off-the-shelf learnings, and a couple of plunger button -- and, because it doesn't really make sense, I figured I would ask you all if what I was experiencing was the norm.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:28 pm 

A few thoughts come to mind:
If sights are used and they or the bow are not vertical shots at different ranges will impact left or right.
A small tuning defect that is not evident at short range may become so at longer range.
At short range you can get away with a casual slightly short draw. When trying to make sure to carry the full distance to say 60 yards it is easy alter the routine a little to get the full pull. And it is easy then to move the shoulders and head back a little, which makes me shoot left as my eye is no longer over the butt of the arrow but I am still aiming with the tip.
An out of tune arrow may still be in wig-wagging in parralax at 20 yards.
For these and other reasons I prefer to do most of my fine tuning out near my point on range. Aiming off the arrow is more precise there as well.
Finally, not all of my bow and arrow combinations will tune to the same tab. So I keep a selection and try to take the right one to the range for the tackle I'll be shooting that day.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:41 am 
Site Admin

I think it has something to do with the space-time continuum curving the flight path of the arrow over longer distances. Without Einstein's theory of relativity, even the simple act of putting a satellite into orbit would have been impossible. So something as complex as archery is far more prone to errors caused by such anomalies.

After reading the "tuning for tens" I see it is just a fine-tuning problem. And as longbowguy said, one should tune at longer distances.
If you can, get a wide open space and go way back with your bare shaft. If it is not the proper spine, you WILL see it plane left or right at long distance. You may have trouble finding it again, but at least you'll know if it's spined right.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:49 am 

I also suspect that extra long draws and/or arrows bring some extra tuning problems. I am not as ape-armed as a couple of fellows hereabouts but was over 31 inches the last time I had a clicker on a FITA bow with sights.

Barebow I leave my wooden and aluminum arrows at the full 32 inches to try to keep my point-on/point-blank range down. It is over 60 yards with most tackle even drawing with three fingers under. As I have been complaining, this makes for mid-range gaps of several feet- hard to be precise, hard on the instincts, hard on the force.
I intended to give the longdraw, FITA, B.E.S.T. method a fair trial with the longbow this season but have already missed some key regional events. Like several others I have had a non-archery injury that interfered, so I sympathize with some others in the brotherhood. I am well on the mend so hope to give the longdraw a fair test soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:55 am 

I just cranked in the limbs on my Zenit to try to match the point-on distance of my Mirage. So, after increasing the poundage, I did walk back tuning, just as I did for the Mirage. And, just as with the Mirage, it was hitting fine out to 40, but when I got to 50 they were a tad right, and when I got to 60, they were landing more than a foot to the right. Just as with the Mirage, I fixed it by moving my center shot out away from the bow, and by increasing plunger tension. Now it hits center at all distances.
I don't understand it, but it works.

I was using those big multi-colored targets for the walk back tuning, and it was dramatic to see the arrows 'walk' from the right side of the target into the gold as I moved the center shot out -- they started in the blue, almost in the black, then moved into the red, then into the right side of the gold, and finally into a spread centered around the gold (right, it would be better to have them all in the gold -- but for that I need more practice:))

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:28 am 

This won't impact on anyone else since I'm the only face walker here (lol) but my left and right changes with distance because my anchor changes. The side of my face is not perfectly straight up and down ( it angles) so I have to compensate as the distance and anchor change.

LBG,n
Sorry to hear you had an injury. I sure understand what you are going through and wish you a speedy recovery.

Dave