[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - 2008 World IBO Championships

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2008 World IBO Championships
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:12 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I just found out that the Worlds will be in my home state of New York, so I figured I'd see what it's like!n
Now I have to decide which class to shoot in, Longbow or Traditional. Longbow would force me to use wooden arrows, but traditional looks like it would be a harder class to win, just based on the last World's scores.

Post subject: Re: 2008 World IBO Championships
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:17 pm 

Traditional also requires shooting up to 30yrds whereas Longbow only requires 25yrds this year.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:46 am 
Site Admin

Jack
I noticed that and was wondering if that is different just this year?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 12:36 pm 

Todd, they just made the change following this year's IBO Worlds, effective starting with the 2008 year. I think as a result you're going to see a lot of Traditional shooters moving to the Longbow class because of it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:51 pm 
Site Admin

I was looking at the scores between the 2 classes, and thought that there wasn't THAT big of a difference....but then I thought that if the TRAD scores (343 for 1st) averaged 5 yards further, then it WAS a big difference. Now I know that they shot the same stakes, so I'm back to thinking it's not that big of a difference 320 for top LB score).
Although I don't know exactly how many targets are shot...I'm guessing 40 over 2 days....then a full 40 on Sunday??n
Could someone clarify this?n
Thanks
-Todd

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:23 pm 

Todd, the shoot calls for 40 targets over the first two days (you can shoot all 40 on one day if you choose) and then the top 5 shooters shot 10 targets on Sunday. So the 2007 scores show Dave Wallace shot 320 for the first 40 targets and then 77 for the last 10 on Sunday for a total of 397 for 50 targets. This was at up to 30yrds max. Gene Heck won the Trad class with a score of 428 for the 50 targets. With the new max yardage of 25 for longbow class I know several people who shot either Trad or RU are going to move to longbow. I believe Bill Beedy and David Hawkins are going to do so, just to name two. Both are previous IBO World Champs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:07 pm 
Site Admin

Good info Jack, thanks! I guess I don't understand why a yardage change should make someone want to switch classes.....if it's harder for them, it will be equally harder for others in the class. I figure that class choice should be a matter of equipment, IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:28 pm 

It's not going to be harder for them -- it's going to be easier. They're going from a max 30yrds to a max 25yrds. I think the feeling is that while 30yrds presents some real problems with wood arrows, 25yrds reduces the problems to manageable proportions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:11 pm 

I've checked in on this thread three times now and been reluctant to post this for fear of offending those of you who like shooting 3D. I'm admitting up front that my question/comment will be controversial in the hope it will not come across so bad.

With all that preamble, and since this is a "target archery" forum, does it strike anyone as odd that people would switch classes just to insure the target's max distance is 5 yards closer?
For goodness sake, field archery calls for shots out to 80 yards and it was developed by people shooting static recurves and longbows, the majority of which had no sights. Now in competition they want to insure the target is as close as possible. Sorry guys but I just don't get it.

I admit I am a field shooter and therefore a bit prejudice but come on. I've been in a real slump for over a year now. I'm not shooting nearly as well or as consistently as I was last fall. I'm not asking the NFAA to make the targets closer or looking for a different game that's easier. I trying hard to figure out what I'm doing wrong so I can fix it and shoot better...at all ranges, even 90m on a full FITA course.

Sorry but the IBO Championships do not appear to be advancing archery, they are dumbing it down so it isn't too hard for us poor traditional and barebow archers. After all you can't hit anything that way now can you!n
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:41 pm 
Site Admin

Dave
I had similar feelings.

I even debated posting on this and other forums, that we longbow shooters should boycott the Longbow class and all just shoot the Traditional class. What they insinuate by separating longbows and making them shoot the closest stake is darn near insulting.

As it is my belief that there is no major advantage of Recurves over Longbows at these close ranges, I need to "put up or shut up" and shoot my longbow in the Traditional class against recurve shooters.
I would call for the boycott, but I think I am wise enough to know it would not influence everyone and all it would do (if anything)would be to slightly thin the LB class, making it that much more attractive to those who hope to win it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:37 am 

Todd, while you are probably correct that there is no "major advantage of Recurves over Longbows at these close ranges" there is an advantage to the Recurve "class", as it can shoot carbons or aluminums, whereas Longbow "class" has to shoot only woodies. That introduces a major difference just in terms of speed which is a decided advantage at unmarked distances.

Guys, you don't even shoot the IBO Worlds, yet you find it reasonable to criticize the classes. If you don't like it, just stay home. And please remember it was the Longbow shooters themselves that lobbied for the rule change. So clearly the majority of your peers seem to disagree with you.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:19 am 
Site Admin

Jack
Any advantages are meaningless because everyone in that class has the same "advantage".
There is no advantage to shooting carbon arrows when everyone in the class can shoot them.

There is no disadvantage to shooting a maximum of 30 yards when everyone in the class has to shoot the same distance.

So when everyone in a class is faced with the same advantage/disadvantage, why switch to a different class?? It makes no sense....you gain nothing.

As for why longbow shooters lobbied for a change, I am going to state the ugly truth here: there are fewer longbow shooters than recurve shooters in every shoot I go to. That means a longbow only class will be easier to win, simply because the number of competitors is less.

Every year I see die-hard recurve shooters try their hand at shooting a longbow in the longbow class simply because they feel it will be an easier class to win, based solely on the number of competitors in it.

I could see how even recurve shooters would support the class change because it would thin the competition from their class as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:50 am 

If less competition is the reason for Trad Shooters to move to the Longbow class, why aren't they moving to the R.U. class? It has the lowest numbers of all, and wouldn't even require a change in arrows or in many cases bows.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

Because they would be shooting against guys who have learned to shoot with fewer restrictions, and who are better able to use those allowances to their advantage.
Someone who has never tried to shoot with plungers and rests combined with face and string walking would be at a distinct disadvantage.

But moving into a more restrictive class (LB) is easier, because the only thing that is different is the arrow material....and if you can get some consistent woodies, you are pretty much where you were before you changed classes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:54 pm 

Hey foxlicker long time no see. I am not going back to longbow for the yardage thing I am just not injoying archery anymore and I always had fun with my longbows and I hope to rekindle that. I am shooting more and have a good time with the ceders and feather burner. I to feel funny about the 25 yard thing back in the day longbows always shot 30 35 yards. The IBO is just messed up and cant seem to get much right these days. To many people crying and they just wont grow some balls and tell these folks we cant have a class for each person. Any I just hope to have a good time and I am still didleing with the recurve. Because Jim P. wont have no one to shoot with lol. Has far as Dave ,I think Dave is shooting longbow just to mess with people ,he will show up with a full blown fita rig with lonbow limbs just to piss floks off ,dont get me wrong Dave is a fine shot and good guy I just know his game he just likes to push the limits. Hey I will see you up to Jimmys club for the indoor champ. Tell other folks of this shoot also we have lots of roomn Bill