[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Ok, So what Longbow can I buy for IFAA Worlds?

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Ok, So what Longbow can I buy for IFAA Worlds?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:50 am 

Jeff Massie is producing one that fits the spec's right on the money. But, get on the list it's doubtful you can get one made by the Worlds, but you might try.

There is some talk the 21st Century Edge may be banded....who knows. But, as of right now I believe it's considered legal.

Larry Yien should be able to weigh in on that.

There are other longbows which would qualify, but are probably not competitive bows. Speed, cast, hand shock, limb stability, all that kind of stuff.

Art

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:28 am 

I spoke with Jeff and yeah, the new Massie IFAA Longhorn looks like it should pass the IFAA Longbow gear exam - it's got the 1-3/8" tips. The only other "ringer" longbow I know of is the Edge, and who knows what the IFAA will say about it this year? With that new limb tip cap length rule, reflex-limb-only bows like a Hill or Viper might not make the cut, either. Dunno for sure about those, but no question they are totally inferior to an Edge or Longhorn when it comes to performance. This whole IFAA longbow rules affair goes beyond silly and now borders on stupid.

FWIW ... having owned three 21st Edges (one from Jim & Buddy, two from Milt, 68" and 70", 2 with carbon limbs), I will say that all of mine shot best at around a 7" brace height at my 29" draw, and there were definite flat spots showing on the limbs when braced. Taking it up to a 8" or so brace height rounded out the flats (except maybe at the tips, and that was open to interpretation). What I never liked about the Edge was the "limb wobbles" - really super sensitive limbs.
I'm seriously thinking about getting a Massie IFAA Longhorn - 68", 45# @ 29", bamboo limb cores under black glass, purpleheart riser, matte finish - should run around $435/delivered. I'd go with Purpleheart as the riser wood simply because it's a standard wood at no extra cost, and it's quite dense @ around 60# or more. Bamboo limb cores are a must, IMO, for the best limb stability and speed. I'd opt not to go with carbon - I don't see a need of that for me. A matte finish also keeps the dollars down. YMMV.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 12:30 pm 

If ya wanna just "shoot" the event, I'd think that a Viper would be legal and they're $160 at FS. Maybe some NFAA/IFAA official could be contacted about its IFAA legality. The big bugaboo these dayze seems to focus on limb tip overlay lengths ("static limb enhancements" :saywhat: ), but barring that the Viper should qualify (I have one and I've carefully checked out the braced limb curve). However, that bow (nor any other mild reflex longbow, like a Hill) will not be in the same competitive league as an Edge or Massie.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:25 am 

There are plenty of bows that will suit you fine in your desire to have an IFAA legal longbow. As of now, my first choice would be a 21st Edge made by 21st Century Longbows, I like how it shoots, performs, and fits in my hand. It is a legal bow, but each one must be scrutinized. I have rasped the grip a bit to customize it, but it doesn't take much. The Massie is another bow on my short list, Jeff does a great job with his craftsmanship and finish. I am also impressed how Jeff has tamed his Longhorn into an IFAA legal bow. I've had more than a few a bowyers that said they could take out the reflex, only to find out that it was harder than they had thought. :)
I am waiting for a prototype bow to come from John McCullough, the man that makes Ron LaClair's Shrews. But for now I have been shooting my Century 21 ;) .

Cheers,n
Larry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:39 pm 

Larry,
Correct me, but weren't you shooting a Jim & Buddy 21st Century and not a Calloway Edge? If so is there a design feature or characteristic that you favor in the Jim and Buddy version?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:05 pm 

When I compare the J/B to the M edge, let's call them jedge and medge. The jedge's are have a slimmer, limb tip and tip reinforcement. The medge sports a fatter limb profile and fatter tip reinforcements. I think this is why Rob has noticed flat spots on his medges. I've seen those same flat spots on medges, they seem to have those spots till they are braced higher. I also noticed a floppiness in the limbs when you grab the string and move it up and down. I just picked up a second hand medge that I should have out in the field next month and will run it through the trials of the field course.

I am really hoping to get a Griffen in my hands next month too, since this is a good time to be melding with the bow that I will bring to the worlds, both primary and backup bow.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:00 pm 

Here is an update on the Milton Calloway Edge
Milton has just delivered to me a 66 @46lbs maple bamboo limbed edge. The riser is made of pakka wood which is a dymond wood type material.

I requested that Milton build this bow to be D shaped at 6 1/2 inches of brace and without any hint of flat spotting
The limbs tips are of the slim type found on the Jim/buddy bows
In my experience, limb stability is the key factor in building a competition bow. Milton has paid alot of attention to this, the end result been that the limb tip does not have a rubbery feel

In my opinion Milton has built an outstanding tournament bow .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 9:01 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 1:24 am 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:36 pm