[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - 3-dimensional archery

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3-dimensional archery
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:24 pm 

Archery is a 3-dimensional sport (height, windage, and distance are involved). Why shouldn't aiming also be 3-dimensional? Except for compounds (which have a peep sight), it seems that for all bows, both longbow and recurve, both traditional and Olympic bow, aiming seems to be two-dimensional -- a front sight and a target.

Rob, you have described the closest thing to 3-dimensional aiming -- what you call trajectory aiming. Will you tell us a little more? How you do it, what ranges it works at, when it ceases to work, what you gap is at the range it ceases to work, and whatever else you may consider of interest.

Thanks
Arc

Post subject: Re: 3-dimensional archery
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:31 pm 

I should modify that last post -- most aiming is 2-dimensional at best. Those of us who shoot purely instinctive use one dimension -- the target. Those who shoot split-vision (where the target is in focus, and the arrow is kinda background) aim with maybe one and a half dimensions. And those who truly gap shoot, seeing both the arrow and the target, aim with two dimensions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:15 pm 

Is this the method where you sort of visualize the flight of the arrow and then point the hand where it takes to get that flight? If so, it is how my "mentor" is trying to teach me to shoot. If I practice a lot at longer ranges it works good for me from about 35-80 yards. The shorter shots are over too fast. For practice he has me starting at my point on distance (60yds) and one day I go 5 yards shorter with each set of 6 arrows down to 30 yards. The next day go 5 longer each set to 80 yards. This is supposed to ingrain the look for each distance. My success is moderate, but it seems like it could work with more practice.

It would be interesting to hear more on aiming this sort of way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:41 am 

Yes, although there are a few details I am curious about as to "how" you can best visualize the flight of the arrow.

I've tried a lot of variations on this with enough success that I want to know more. Figured I'd ask this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 2:11 am 

I too found Rob's comments about "aiming the arrow" interesting. Interesting enough to change my anchor point and give it a try. For the first half dozen targets (14 target field course) I was significantly better than the last time I was out. It started to fall apart after that but I think I was falling back into more of my old stance and habbits. It's going to take more practice, but then what doesn't. I think this has a lot of potential and would like to hear more.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:03 am 

Arc - target recurve archers certainly use three-dimensional aiming by paying attention to string alignment. I haven't as much experience as you guys in barebow shooting, but I assumed that you all checked for string alignment as well. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:49 pm 

Hi John,n
String alignment certainly can help for windage.

But, because the arrow shot from a recurve bow drops so much, I think the most interesting problem is hitting the right elevation at any range from 15 feet to 80 yards. I can't think of a legal way to use the string to help with that :) .

Arc

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:02 pm 

Dave T -- just a note on anchor points -- I believe Rob uses the traditional fairly high 'corner of the mouth' anchor point -- and I use a low 'against the chin' anchor point. Both work with this system -- although I do think a higher anchor is easier.

Rob, when you do check in, I'd like to know your thoughts on anchor too.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:13 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:01 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:13 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:49 am 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:21 am 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:42 am