[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Got A New FITA Rig

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Got A New FITA Rig
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:31 am 
Site Admin

That's right!
Although I won't be competing with it. The only reason I got it was so it could accept the LAZ-AIR pneumatic training device found here:
which I picked up used a long time ago, and it never fit my hunting recurve.

The best thing about the FITA bow is that George from Tollgate Archery ()gave it to me for free since he said the limbs had a tendency to twist and couldn't-in good conscience-sell it.

So now I've been drawing and firing in the warmth of my house just working on form. The LAZ-AIR has a laser but I don't even care about that...just like working on form.

What I really hope to develop is a true "surprise release" by learning to gradually relax my hand and apply back tension at the same time resulting in the string being released at an unknown time within a couple seconds of when I initiate the relaxing of my hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:45 pm 

I have seen those used a few times, but never tried one. I'll be really anxious to see if you like it over time and if you think it is helping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:02 pm 

Todd, I have of course heard of the "surprise release" concept in reference to shooters using a back tension release. You do shoot finger release right? I am serious about this next question. Is a "surprise release" even possible for a finger shooter? If so are there potential benefits to be gained by a finger shooter like there are benefits for the release shooter? As a finger shooter myself I had never even considered this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:15 am 

Interesting device. Glad I've got an 8 yard range in my house! 8)

YES, you can definitely get a "surprise" release as a fingers archer. The heavier the holding weight, the better. It's about maintaining back tension while gradually relaxing the string fingers. However, since you control the finger tension, it can eventually get to the point where you'll KNOW when the release will occur. Takes a LOT of concentration. IMHO, it also takes some/lots of fun outta shooting. YMMV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Yeah, right now it does take some mental effort. I'm hoping that after a month of doing it that it will become subconscious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:40 pm 
Site Admin

After practicing with it for a few days, I've become concerned about the slowly-relax-your-fingers technique. When you do it that way, at the point that the string leaves the fingers, there is still some tension in the fingers...because you are slowly relaxing them a little at a time, not completely all at once. So the release kinda feels like a pluck. I wonder how/if this is an issue that will affect arrow flight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:34 pm 

Not trying to start an argument but where did this "slowly relax the fingers" thing come from? I can't remember hearing it and from a practical point of view I can't see how it will work. If there is any tension in the fingers as the string starts to move you have a built in pluck.

Best idea for clean release I've heard came from Frank Pearson (noted competitor and instructor). He says to relax the wrist. If you do, the fingers will relax without even thinking about it and the bow will pull the string cleanly from them.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:51 pm 

I guess I dunno any better, but it's always been about relaxing the drawing fingers - consciously or unconsciously. There comes a point during "relaxation" that your fingers can't hold the string back (without creeping) and away she goes. Maintaining push/pull back tension keeps the anchor solid and fights creep. I'm in the Rick McKinney camp that sez the bowstring pushes the string fingers outta the way, there is no conscious finger relaxing, but there is a conscious relaxing of the forearm that triggers the fingers to unconsciously relax and *bam!* away she goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:30 pm 

I am not sure whether you hold the string on your finger tips or use a deep hook. If you use a deep hook, you can hold almost effortlessly -- then, just relax the tiniest bit, and the string will push the fingers out of the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:54 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:17 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:40 pm 

Read though it again Todd (I'd visited there before) and there is nothing there about "slowly relax the fingers". He talks about relaxing the back of the hand, which most legit instructors advise, but then says the string will "suddenly" be pulled from the fingers, not gradually.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:27 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:33 pm