[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Review: Mohawk Longbow

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Review: Mohawk Longbow
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:14 pm 

Vince Migliorato has been crafting longbows for many years as hobby for himself and friends, and now he's gotten more into bowyering since retiring.

I'm a huge fan of all longbows (in fact, I don't even own a recurve), particularly those of the classic "D" braced type, and that's Vince's specialty. Not having one "Hill style" longbow in my sparse collection, I decided to find out more about Mohawk Bows and rang Vince up at his Colorado home and we had us a good chat. Vince essentially builds classic "D" braced mild r/d longbows, with a heavy utilization of Tonkin cane limbs. They should be perfectly IFAA legal. :roll:

The upshot is that yesterday a pair of Mohawks arrived at the ol' homestead - 64" and 47# @ 28", 62" and 49# @ 28". Both bows have Tonkin cane limb cores AND veneers under clear glass. Both have cocobolo risers, one with thin white swoop stripes and the other with a hefty layer of bocote. Each has both front and rear riser and tip cocobolo overlays, with added micarta and wood layers on the tip backs. The bows are well built for modern string fibers.

Handle shapes are always a concern for me, and Vince shaped them perfectly to my taste - thin and narrow, with leather laced grips. Just a joy for me to hold.

Vince uses Fullerplast for his bow finish, spritzing on at least six coats. When I pulled the first longbow out of it's thick velour sock I was kinda shocked to feel a rough, dry finish - heck, it felt as if he forgot that last smoothing step, for a slick but matte feel. But therein lies the beauty of this finish method - it's DEAD FLAT NON-REFLECTIVE. No matter what kinda light you shine on a Mohawk bow, there is zero reflection - the finish totally absorbs the light. What better finish to use for a hunting stickbow? What started off as a heavy concern has now become positive and desirable. I love this finish!

Hefting these light longbows is one thing, but the rubber meets the road in use - drawing, holding, aiming, releasing - and man, these Mohawks deliver the goods!

The doubled Tonkin cane limbs are incredibly smooth drawing - in fact, I've never drawn smoother longbows. Each felt a good 5lbs lighter in draw weight but my digital scale didn't lie and each bow hit the listed weights on the money. With my 29" draw, there was literally no difference in the draw feel between the 64" and 62" bow lengths.

I wish I still had my bow chronograph to check the speed on these bows, but suffice to say they're plenty fast. And they seem to love heavier arrows in the 550-650 grain weights, better than lighter weight arrows. No "hand shock" to speak of, they're fast pointing and extremely stable longbows that shoot where ya point.

I tell it like it is with bows, and usually I'll find something to pick at, but not this time. It was a pleasure talking with Vince, I'm now a fan of his bowyering skills and his longbows, and I'm poised to order out yet another. Nothing else to say. Well, yeah, one thing - his bow prices are way more than reasonable for what ya get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:33 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:41 pm 
Site Admin

There's that nice D shape we all know and love.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:56 am 

Indeed, the 'Hawks are my fave "D" longbows.

With the addition of the new 'Hawk TD, I have one Mohawk too many, so the 64" 47# @ 28" will be sold at a better than fair price - a perfect IFAA legal :twisted: longbow. Check out STAF classifieds ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:07 pm 

Dog gone your time, Rob D. :twisted:

You're really tempting me with your words of praise for this bow and the pictures aren't dissuading me either. :lol:

I 'googled' him up and found his site...happy trails

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:35 am 

Sorry 'bout that, Mac. :wink:

My TD Mohawk is the only bow I'm shooting these dayze!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:26 am 

Hey,Rob. How ya been? Thanks for the review. How do you compare the Mohawks with Allen Boice's English or Contender, which to me look quite similar?

Dan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:39 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:31 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:57 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:39 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 10:09 am 

I was wondering if anyone has compared the tomahawk bows with the mohawk. I have been considering a tomahawk for about 6 months now and thought I would eventually get one but now I stumbled across the Mohawks by accident and began reading what I could about them. They seem to get good reviews and have basically the same warranty as the tomahawk. Does anyone have any information on how these two brands stack-up against each other. The one thing mohawk has over the tomahawk is the price. But price isnt everything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:24 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:25 am 

the new dark 'hawk, 64", 43# @ 29", for targets and 'rehab' ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:23 am 

For IFAA events, I think this bow has "the edge" (yeah, pun intended) - the mild r/d braced limbs are "D" shaped, and the belly rise can be had sans accent lams to comply with IFAA rules. Dittos on the limb tip spex, if need be. This designs just love heavy arrows, too.

Anyhoo, as expected, Mohawk prices going up on June 1st, 2 month delivery time right now ...

1 piece longbow = $475 + $25 shipping
2 piece longbow = $625 + $25 shipping

... order now if ya can! ($425 1pc and $600 2pc, $25 shipping for either)