[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - I like it here!

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I like it here!
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:44 pm 

Some of you probably also visit other sites, and you may have seen the insanity that is going on in a current "battle" between a couple of the sites. I might like to see a little more activity here, but I like it because it so mellow and low key here. We can ask questions and make posts here without people totally stomping all over each other. From what I have seen here so far this place is still pretty much dedicated to just shooting a bow better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yep. Kinda peaceful here. Like fishing in a big pond on a cool evening, way back off the beaten path where most folks never go. That's my kinda fishin'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:13 pm 

I'd like to see more participation and posts too. I fear it's because 3D and bow hunting dominate all of archery and there isn't much room left for just shooting...particularly at paper targets.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:42 pm 

Yup. On the other hand hereabouts we tend not to post unless we have something worth saying......unlike several other sites.

Re: 3D. Here in NorCal at least the marked 3D events are not that different from Field Archery, except that the targets cost a lot more. They are generally set up on field courses, use the full distances and the orange 11 spots are about the same size as field 5 spots. So you can use the same sighting references.... or the lack of them and shoot them the same way. Certainly there is little difference for the compounders....whom we must make our allies because of their numbers. They are only aiming at spots anyway, no matter what color they are. - lbg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 10:35 pm 

Ilike both 3D and field archery with paper targets. I also happen to believe that becoming a good shot on the range using targets sure don't hurt none when you're bowhunting either. I do think that it is rather unfortunate that fiels archery is taking a back seat. None the less although I had to miss Redding I am planning to make it to my State Field tournament. (By the way lbg, if it matters I am planning to shoot it at Pacifica on 6/8. There may be other sites that are more convenient for you though.)
Any way I think that lbg may have a point. It does lead to less traffic here but most folks seem to post only if they actually have something to say. Very much like that quiet pond tod mentioned. What's that saying? "Still waters run deep."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:06 am 

Lack of participation breeds lack of controversy and makes for easy forum control. The most participation at STAF was during the IFAA controversy posts, remember? If, and when, this site would grow to 16 times the current membership, I guarantee life here would/will be different. Ask me how I know this to be true. 8)

That stuff aside, since the helm of this ship was assumed by the good Captain Todd, the forum's focus and direction has still maintained the founding course - all things stickbow target archery.

In the micro sport world of archery, which runs the gamut of paper to critter punching, the lowest interest and participation is still what this forum is all about.

So, how does one increase interest and participation in stickbow target archery?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 10:29 am 

lbg,

You're right in that "marked" 3D is not all that different from field. There were ZERO marked 3D events in my area until last December when our state NFAA association put one on (guess who's idea it was - lol). It was very well received and even pretty well attended despite a terrible weather forecast that was spot on (cold Winter storm in the desert). We're hoping to make this an annual event but if it depended on "traditional" or "stickbow" participation the first one would have been a failure. There were a total of 4 longbows and recurves...and two of them didn't come back for the second day.

On ward through the fog!
Dave

PS: Rob, if I knew I sure would tell ya! (smile)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:19 pm 

That is a very good question Rob. I will admit that I am stumped. But then again I am able to see the connection between the different types of shooting, field, 3D, bowhunting. I belive that maybe what is needed is to reestablish that connection in other shooters minds. I see posts on other sites where large numbers of shooters seem convinced that target shooting and bowhunting are 2 different unrelated disciplines and that by shooting at targets you some how become less of a bowhunter. Perhaps recognizing the existence of that mind set is a start, but the actual means of turning it around currently escapes me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 2:46 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:56 pm