[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - short r/d longbows

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: short r/d longbows
PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:07 pm 

Hi, I'm sort of new here - only lurking until now. Anyway, I've been wondering if any serious competitors in the longbow class have sucessfully used short r/d longbows, say 64" AMO or shorter. I've never been to any big tournaments & they don't write much about target archers or tournament results in the traditional bowhunting magazines that I read. Clint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:48 am 

some say that longer bow lengths add a measure of 'shot stability', others say that like flight bows, shorter bow lengths evoke more arrow speed. add into this the 'finger pinch equation' where shorter bow lengths and longer draw lengths yield smaller string angles at full draw,

lots really depends on yer draw length, and if it's on the shorter side, say 27", even a 60" bow will easily suffice. longer draw lengths are best coupled with longer bows, for both efficiency and extended bow life.

these dayze i pull 28-1/2" and i use 29" carbon arrows. i've shot 'target events' with mohawk longbows at both 62" and 64" amo lengths. our fearless staf webmaster won the muzzy tournament with a 62" 45# savannah longbow.

imo, it's not really length that matters in traditional barebow events. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:10 am 
Site Admin

I think the Savannah is a great bow. Recently, my brother had to switch to shooting righty because of an injury, so I lent him my Savannah. He liked it so much, he bought a new one for when he shoots lefty again.

In addition to winning the Muzzy in '07, I won a large local 3D shoot with the Savannah too. There were about 60 entries, and as many bows as you can think of, from self bows to modern target recurves.

I also came within a fraction of an inch of winning the Eagle Eye in Denton Hill with the Savannah.

So, yes, you can do well with a shorter r/d longbows. However, these days I spend my time with a 70" Howard Hill. I can't explain why, but I just enjoy shooting it more than the modern style longbows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:47 am 

todd, what's all the spex on yer 70" hill? what's yer draw length and what arrows are you shooting? guess you'll be at the upcoming muzzy! :)

i've always loved those slim, long limbed howard hill longbows - just aesthetically beautiful. i've had a bunch of them, the last i had ordered was a 70" owl with bamboo and osage limbs. i'm sure someday i'll order yet another. for now, i've been loving these mowhawk longbows - the grace and beauty of a classic braced longbow, but with a modern r/d performance kick. if you haven't tried one yet, todd, you oughta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:16 am 

I'm not a tournament shooter, but the "longbow" I shoot best & the one I usually hunt with is the Martin Savannah. I only draw 28". I own & have owned other longer longbows that I don't shoot as well. Some are expensive customs that I won't mention here. I wish Martin made a "longer Savannah". I don't shoot the Martin Venom 64" & Venom 66" nearly as well because of the grip & limb design - plus they don't make a D shape when strung. I just ordered a 66" 21st Century Lone Star with Full Moon grip in hopes that it feels similar in hand & draws smoothly like the Savannah.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 11:25 am 

clint, a 28" draw with a 62" longbow is a very fine match for any kinda barebow shooting, target or hunting. in the long run, i believe it's best to stick with shooting just one bow and just one type of arrow for barebow archery ... but owning 7 longbows, i'm a poor poster boy for that statement. what i try to do is to match up arrows to each of my bows so that the performance/trajectories are as nearly the same as possible. that, and keeping the same form no matter what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:51 pm 
Site Admin

Rob,
My Hill is 50# at 28. It's a Wesley Special, glossy black with ebony riser and a silver eagle inlay.

Yep, I'm planning for another Muzzy shoot. Plus, I'll be at the IBO worlds and the new IBO Trad worlds with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 1:05 pm 

nice bow, todd - what's yer draw length and what arrows are ya shooting (length, too)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

I draw 27 1/2".
Arrows that fly well for me are (all 125gr tip): 2016's at 31.5"
A/C/C 3-39/440's at 32.5"
And 50-55# POC at 30".

In fact, today, I just received my order of 2 dozen POCs from Elite Arrows. Most beautiful things I've ever owned. Paul Jalon is a master fletcher and artist.
I've decided to shoot in the longbow class this year, so I gotta shoot woods at the IBO's. Last year I refused to shoot from the kiddie stakes, because I didn't think it was respectful of the longbows to make us do so, but I've decided to swallow my pride and try it this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:53 pm 

interesting. lotta arra overhang - you gapping or 'instinctive'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:30 pm 
Site Admin

instincta-gap.

I got used to a large overhang because it's always been hard to find non-wooden arrows that are weak enough to fly well off my bows, and be strong enough to take the punishment of stump shooting.

I see only one disadvantage to long arrows...speed loss. But the advantages outweigh that one disadvantage: They are heavier, so the bow is more efficient. They allow a stronger shaft to be shot from a lighter bow. They reduce the gap, so aiming isn't as much of a guessing game at hunting yardages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:35 pm 

at 27.5", yer generating around 49# holding weight - how heavy are those arrows? curious about the foc, too.

(sorry to hijack this thread!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 6:48 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know exactly off the top of my head, and I'm at work now. I should be able to get those numbers for ya tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:56 am 

I shot a Chastain 45#, 62" Wapiti for a couple of years, it shot nice and even won a couple of National tourneys with it, the 66" 'Edge' and 'Zeta' are a better choice as they're smoother to draw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:23 am 
Site Admin

Rob,
FOC and Weights:

2016 = 495gr, 13% FOC
POC = 500gr, 14% FOC
A/C/C = 470gr, 15% FOC