[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - European Field champs in Wales, UK

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: European Field champs in Wales, UK
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:20 am 

Well I'm back in the UK for this tourney, I will visit family for a few days first as my Mum hasn't yet seen my little Boy 'Päären'. After Yankton's performance think I'm more excited about family reunion than the actual tourney and wont get any hopes up of a medal.

It will be a tough tourney in Longbow division as six of the competitiors have recently been shooting 350+ scores in competition. I talked Ular Teppo into going (current world champ) we have been training together the last few weeks and our practice scores are tidy. Alone my scores have been very good but shooting with Ular put the pressure on a little and brought my scores back to my normal mid 300's which is what I suspected would happen.

Katrin is finding it hard going, after 5 months of almost no shooting she is finding it hard work drawing the bow, she has won EFAC the last 3 years and holds all the records, I'm sure she will make it into the medals as she has a strong competitive spirit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:26 am 
Site Admin

It is nice to be able to shoot with someone who's really good. It's always a bummer to shoot with a group of below average, "weekend" archers in competition. When the group average is low, it tends to bring your own score down somehow. Probably has to do with the human need to "fit in" with one's peers. And it doesn't help when they all "oooo and ahhh" over your shooting at every target, just because they're not used to seeing a moderate level of competence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:45 am 

Good luck Steve and remember to take lots of pictures.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:19 pm 

I'm with you on that on Todd. For me its not about fitting in. I just get lazy, sloppy, careless, lackadaisical, what ever you want to call it. And its just weird when you come in some huge amount over your nearest competition. I wind up feeling embarassed of all things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:44 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:37 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:27 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:50 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:26 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:37 am 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:24 am 

Well guys I WON

The weather in Wales was bad, two weeks before the tourney they had constant rain, it did rain on/off during the week but the damage had already been done in previous weeks and Wednesdays rain and two days of churning the courses just made it too slippery and the organizers decided to cancel that days shooting so they could make the course safer.. The courses were very steep in places and not only were the up/downs tough but a lot were at left/right angles then the Compounds shot the middle out of all the targets so the faces where put on the edges of the Targets makes it hard and intimidating for Longbows.

Think I had my normal first day jitters and after living in flat Estonia I had to learn again how to calculate my up/down shots so first arrow shots tended to be a feeler to figure out how to shoot it, most of the shots I missed during the week were just lack of confidence on how to shoot the angle, I was very pleased with my shooting form overall.

The second day 361 European record was a great confidence builder it was a very tough course and cant imagine what the score might have been on a flat course, both myself and Andy Soars were on great form, Roger Pallet was very twitchy as it was his first international tourney but he was his normal upbeat personality and it was a pleasure shooting with him all week and he had moments of great shooting during the week (at Sept08 English Nationals he shot a 384 and has won NAFAC in the past with great scores).

The last day was the hardest for me, although I had a good lead over Andy Soars from UK he was very much on form, at one point during the last days round I had a run of 5 targets where I was only scoring two arrows and Andy was scoring all four arrows 15’s plus and I very nearly lost my nerve because I was pretty sure he had caught me up but I dug very deep and regained my composure and pulled back again, Andy told me afterwards at that point he got within 7 points of me but I pulled away again at the end.

I pick up a new double carbon Zeta from Andy (he’s shooting one at the moment) I have to say it’s the best performing and most stable Bow I’ve ever shot, just wish I had one before this tourney. I’m looking forward to shooting it in future weeks and seeing what scores I can get. :D

http://www.ifaa-archery.org/results/200 ... result.pdf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Awesome, Steve! Congrats!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:13 pm 

Thanks. here is some pics, hope links work.

Some pictures from EFAC09

Me and my Boy

Urte Paulus Austria and Kadi Koort Estonia 1st and 2nd

Katrin Virula my better half

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:11 am 

Congratulations on some fine shooting!

And the pictures are great! Thanks.

Rob