[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - winter 300 league

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: winter 300 league
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:36 am 

Going to shoot a league this winter.A first for me.It runs from Dec 3 till sometime in March.I'm hoping it will pass the winter a little quicker.
A year ago I could not hit the broad side of a barn.I think I can keep them on the paper now(will see).Wish me luck and any advise will be welcome.-Ray.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:41 am 

Dont shoot too much for score, just enjoy and focus on Form.

You can find out a lot about your shooting with this round, experiment with a few minor Form variations and by the time your back outside in March you should have some very solid skills. Keep a written record of any form variations and score, make sure you shoot a whole round with it, you find out very quickly this way what does and deosn't work for you.

The Indoor round can screw a few people because they try so hard for higher and higher scores each time they shoot it, shoot good form and the scores will look after themself.

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:34 pm 

Thanks Steve,good idea on a logged record.Sixty arrows with the same stance,anchor and grip on the string should tell me something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:54 am 

Dont focus on beating best score but focus on improving on your average score, keeps the expectations real.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:31 am 
Site Admin

Ray, this is a unique opportunity for you. You are starting anew, so expectations for score should be low. Use the league nights as a time to practice your form in competition. Use it as a practice for form in front of others. Tell yourself no matter what, you want the form to be good. Don't care about where the arrow ends up. Care only about the process.

If you start hitting well, guys will start patting you on the back, and telling you good shot. But don't believe it, or you'll be tempted to try to guide the arrow next time instead of controlling your form.

Only *you* can know when you've made a good shot, and it has nothing to do with where the arrow goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:39 am 

"Only *you* can know when you've made a good shot, and it has nothing to do with where the arrow goes."
How true! Many a time I have made a shot that scored well, yet I also knew that the shot was executed poorly. The good score was merely coincidence or luck, and if I were to attempt to repeat the same execution odds of hitting anything would be extremely low.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:08 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:47 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:06 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:35 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:20 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:28 am 

Well the league ended this past Thursday.To say the least it was a humbling experience.I don't feel I GOT ANY BETTER FROM THE START OF THE LEAGUE to the finish.I did learn a little about myself.I noticed every night I arrived I shot better in a few practice rounds.The elbow to elbow shooting line really messed with me.The last night high low doubled,I collasped.Worst I ever shot,but before they actually placed the buts I was grouping well.I don't see how it is possible but indoors at paper, 20yds seems further than 20 outdoors at 3D.
I had some shaky nights where I started to go back to old short draw aiming down the shaft moments like many of the trad shooters looked like,but managed to keep my form.
Don't know if I will do it again,but it was fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:42 pm 
Site Admin

Don't be discouraged that you feel you did not improve. Look at every experience as a way to learn. Thomas Edison once said something along the lines that he didn't fail thousands of times, he just figured out thousands of ways not to do it!

Also, shaking can really mess you up mentally, since you will doubt your accuracy. The thing is, you can still be accurate if you shake. Just tell yourself that it's like driving a car. You are constantly adjusting the steering wheel and subconsciously keeping the car between the lines. Just make yourself realize that if you *focus* on the target, your subconscious will make the necessary adjustments.