[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Training for Eagle Eye July 07

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Training for Eagle Eye July 07
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:59 am 
Site Admin

Been shooting at tiny spots 20 yards away
Today I worked on 2 things: positioning drawing shoulder into a good back tension feel just before reaching full draw
and: an honest attempt at disregarding where the arrow goes, convincing myself that it is the feel of the shot that is important, not where the arrow goes. Set the shot up right with pre-aim and back tension, and follow through with good form, and the arrow will go where it's supposed to.

Post subject: Re: Training for Eagle Eye July 07
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:42 pm 

Todd, what I find amusing about archery is how much 'convincing' is required.

In fact, I justify some of my deviations from form as 'building certainty' :)
That is, I shoot a way that I think is wrong, the shot is bad, and a positive result is that I become more convinced that 'yup -- if I shoot that way, I shoot badly'. So, next time, maybe I will shoot the way I SHOULD :D
Of course, I may shoot the wrong way again, thinking that the previous result was a fluke -- and, if the shot is again bad, I build more certainty that I shouldn't do that.

I am truly astonished at how many bad shots it can take to convince me I shouldn't shoot a certain way :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:27 pm 
Site Admin

The other side to that coin, is shooting the "wrong" way, yet hitting the target. That has been what I've spent the last few years trying to conquer. I was so good at it, I could basically half-draw, and know how much to adjust my aim to still hit the target. Talk about positive reinforcement of a bad habit!n
That's why I need to truly convince myself that it is not as important to hit the target as it is to use good form.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:59 pm 
Site Admin

After weeks of shooting at dots from 20 yards, I can honestly say I am in no way confident about my performance this weekend. I certainly feel more prepared than I ever have, but hitting such a small target with only one shot seems unlikely, and any success will be due mostly in part to luck.

I practiced at length with holding on target and being in that zone before release...ok, not at length....it's so boring and hard to practice that, and I feel that although I don't want to be "triggered" by sight picture to release, that my best shots happen when my release IS triggered :(
One of my goals was to find my gap at pre-draw, and then match it at full draw. For some reason I am better at just coming to full draw first and finding my gap that way....I'm more precise that way. I feel, however, that when under pressure, it will help to have the pre-aim gap set. I'm just not sure yet which way I will choose to shoot.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:39 pm 
Site Admin

I also discovered that cedar arrows with a static spine that matches my carbon static spine (68#) will tune to my bow when cut to the same length as my carbons (31.75") I needed to do this so my sight picture stayed the same for the Eagle Eye which requires wood arrows.

This discovery also flies in the face of advice given by some on another forum....I suspected they were only guessing at the answer anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

I've also discovered that carbons fly better with cock feather in. Wood flies better with cock feather out. I think it has something to do with the difference in the rate of spin and where the feathers are as they cross the shelf.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:56 am 

Hi Todd
I found I had a longer "point on" range with the cock feather in shooting carbons off the shelf.
There was a blurb on the Arrows by Kelly website:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:09 pm 
Site Admin

Eagle Eye went better than it ever has before. I was one of 3 who ended up shooting for the money after more than 200 others had tried.

The weekend taught me I still have a long way to go before I am free of the "conditioned response" urge to release.

When shooting the courses, I came up with an idea that helped hold open the "cell door" and let me temporarily escape from target panic.

I had my brother flip a coin. If it was heads, I would shoot....tails, I'd have to let down. So that forced me to draw, get on, STAY ON, and say "K" when I was ready. The first time I tried it, I released as soon as I said "k"! Then I learned to control the aim and wait for the command while holding my hand to the flame.

Oddly enough I could not do it on my own....I needed to know that there was a chance I would not be shooting.

Perhaps I could make some sort of electronic gizmo that I can use when alone that will give me a 50/50 chance of shooting or letting down. Maybe that will ingrain the control I need to rid myself of the conditioned response.