[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Tollgate Oh Eight Shoot

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tollgate Oh Eight Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

Training again for the tollgate shoot. Bitter weather be darned.

Dilema: some of my most accurate shots come when I don't transfer to the back at full draw :(
I've switched back to aiming as I draw, because I am better able to feel the proper sight picture that way, for whatever reason, and target panic seems to be a much smaller issue lately.

So when I hit anchor, I am on target. Now if I transfer to the back, I notice a slight deviation in sight picture (ie, I'm unable to stay firmly on target with my bow arm) and so my shots seem to stray more.

However, if I did not do the extra step of transfering to the back, I know I will be more susceptible to target panic and collapse.

So I suppose I will keep tranfering after I get to full draw, and hope that the bowarm remains solid in time. It's just so hard to give up a technique that is more accurate during practice.

Post subject: Re: Tollgate Oh Eight Shoot
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:57 pm 

Well, that sometimes happens with me too during a 20 yard round. It feels as if I get into a zone and the arrow gets off quickly and goes where it is supposed to. Sometimes it works so well that I can expect to hit the speck or paper flake or arrow hole I am focussed on. When that happens it seems as if my subconscious is in charge, so I go with the flow, trying to shoot like Brett Fabre plays football.
The trouble is, it doesn't work so well for the longer distances-- I don't get full power and my shots go low, and maybe left as well. My remedy is to transfer, which for me is mainly mental. I transfer my attention to a lower inner spot on my string arm shoulder blade. I also try to feel a 'thump' as my elbow reaches full recoil. Sometimes just the thump is enough. If I feel that I have completed my shot, even if I did not think my way through each step. I try for that with quick sport and casual shooting.

It seems to me that it might help with TP, though I have had the luck to avoid that ailment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:12 am 
Site Admin

This groove you speak of is something I avoid now in practice. Years ago, I'd be more than happy to get into that rhythm and drop them arrows in tight.

But now I am nearing the end of a long hard road in my battle with TP....and I am intimately familiar with all its forms. Getting in that groove is one thing that leads to the conditioned response of TP.

The hard part about transferring the tension from the forearm/fingers to the back, is that it takes a conscious effort to relax those muscles....those muscles that are currently holding me so nice and solid on target....and transfer that tension to the back. When I do it, it definitely improves my release, but my aim suffers.

Also, under a pressure situation, it is even harder still to relax the drawing muscles and transfer to the back, when I know I'm already on target and at full draw. I can see why Kisik Lee is adamant about not aiming until after the transfer takes place.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:34 pm 

OK, I see that you must avoid that kind of groove; as I said I may do beyond short range.
I want to clarify for you and any others my comment about the 'thump'. What I mean is a good follow-through following a full draw and a pull-through release. When I make a good shot sequence the way I perceive it (besides the arrow going just where I intended it) is the 'thump.' When I feel it I know I have completed a good sequence even if I did not think it through a step at a time.

I am suspicious of too much conscious attention to the shot sequence when shooting for score. Clearly we need to think through the steps as part of our training. But it is my belief that all athletic feats are best performed in the subconscious mind. So when putting the results of the training to the test for score I try to occupy the conscious with goal setting and perhaps touching base on my shoulder blade so my subconscious is free to actually aim and make the shot. The 'thump' then is one of the ways I monitor the process to see if any corrective action is needed. This may considered be a different sort of groove, a more complete and polished one. -lbg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:36 am 

Ever tried a form-master, my FITA friend swears by them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:00 pm 
Site Admin

I have one, and I do think it is a great training aid.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:22 am 

That nasty TP, ugh! I spent a very long time to develop a method to cure my own TP ... it worked for me, maybe it'll work for others, too.
1. Draw on blank butt (NOT a target face or specific aiming point!), hold at anchor for at least a few seconds (and NEVER release). Do not "aim". Think: FORM.
It helps to count numbers as yer doing all of the above - this distracts the mind from thinking about the need to release and other nasty dumb worries.

You'll notice that TP disappears very quickly, as your confidence to draw, hold and let down increases. You'll like that good feeling. Good is better than bad.
2. Once the drawing, holding and letting down feels comfy, it's time to introduce, and work on, aiming and the release.
NEVER EVER try to form a shot sequence "groove" - that's the kiss of death and a portal back to TP. Each arrow drawn, held, aimed and released is to be a totally unique experience that is consistent

3. Replace the blank butt with a small aiming point ("target"). Run through the draw/hold/AIM/RELEASE sequence. Aim intently, release when it feels "right". If it doesn't feel "right", don't release, let down. Repeat this process. Do not shoot a lot of arrows, maybe a dozen tops then stop. Do not bother with this training if YOU don't feel "right", either mentally and/or physically.

4. Go back to step 1 if you run into ANY kinda trouble or hesitation.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:55 am 

I have seldom if ever gotten into the "zone" lbg was talking about. Not saying it doesn't exist or that it is bad, I'm just not wired that way. Anyway, I am a deliberate shooter and find I do best when I follow a well laid out shot sequence, a specific list of steps I need to follow to get to the completion of a successful shot.

I struggled with the back tension thing for along time and it led to some problems and a 6 month slump. I eventually learned I was over drawing in an attempt to insure I had back tension. That tends to lead to misses to the left (right handed shooter). When I didn't have back tension I would creep or collapse and shoot low or pluck the string and shoot left. As you can see, lots of misses built into these problems.

The solution (or the beginning of the recovery) was to develop a specific shot sequence and stick to it. A big part of that is the tension lbg mentioned and good follow through. One of the best things I've learned (read it somewhere) is to think about the process (shot execution) not the product (score). If I can focus on just making the shot as good as I can, it usually turns out pretty well. That focus is the real challenge for me.
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Funny thing is TP has never been a problem during practice. I am in complete control....can let down even after aiming, expanding, and almost releasing.
But when I shoot in competition, everything changes. And I know it's partly because I am focused too intently on aiming instead of form as Dave mentioned. The problem is I only go to 2 or three competitions a year....so I never know how my TP will be until I get there.

The good thing is that I have improved consistently over the last 3 years as far as controlling the TP, and I think TP is almost a memory. I'll find out in a few weeks.

For the last few weeks I have been concentrating on strength and endurance. This training entails using a metronome set to 1 second beeps so I can count out the seconds I hold.

Then I hold for 10 seconds at full draw on target and continue to expand, then shoot. I repeat this until I can't anymore.

Sometimes I warm up just a bit then see how long I can hold at full draw. First time I tried it, I held back my 45# bow for about 40 seconds. Last I tried I held back my 60# bow for a full minute.

It's been very hard for me to take a day of rest in between sessions, but I've been forcing myself to so that my muscles can recover.