[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - NFAA 300 Rounds

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:23 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:40 am 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:36 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:59 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:06 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:39 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:18 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:18 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Well, I'm back at it again. I've given up on 4 years of trying to hold and aim (because I never got completely comfortable with it), and have reverted back to the swing draw/continuous motion form I grew up with.

So despite temperatures in the teens, I've been getting ready for an indoor shoot in February. I figured the 300 round would be a good way to put some pressure on myself.

My scores over the last few days were 256, 245, 262, and 259. I desperately want to get to 270, and thought today was the day, but it wasn't.

I'm very happy though, that my scores rival those of my hold and aim style, since those scores were achieved using a specific point of aim. These latest scores were made using an instinct-a-gap method.

The secret to my (future) success lies in the last inch or two of my draw. A lot goes on there, both physically and mentally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:23 pm 

Todd, I've been trying to make the same conversion (to holding and aiming) for almost that long. It is an incredibly difficult change to make. And the struggles you describe sure sound familiar. But, I think I just found the last bug :roll: Let me share it. It has two parts:

1. Bracket the release with holds. Hold steady on target, go through your release process, and continue to hold on target after release. So the last thing you do is hold, rather than release.

2. Do not start aiming until you are fully drawn and at anchor. This helps to fight the faster and faster shooting pace that occurs.

I may have a new 'last bug fix' next week, but the above is my current one. Hope you find it interesting.

Rob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:43 pm 
Site Admin

Rob,

Sounds similar to what I tried. One thing that helped me was the pre-draw aiming. It was a lot easier to match the pre-draw aim once at full draw, than to seek out the proper sight picture while holding the full weight of the bow.

I'm not sure what you mean about aiming through the release and after. My aiming is done with the tip of the arrow. What you describe would be the same as a regular follow through to me....just trying to stay up and on until the arrow hits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:34 pm 

Todd:
I fortunately am able to hold and aim with little difficulty and that is my normal method for target purposes. I don't hunt a lot buy in season I switch to the Howard Hill swing draw and split vision methods you mention. I pre-aim mentally and then swing up to that mental image and pull through to a strong follow-through.

One day this fall I got into the zone with my Howard Hill bow with 520 grain arrows and on the field course was on 200 pace through 8 targets. I stopped to chat with a couple of prospective members and lost my mojo, but satisfied myself once again that the method can produce high level target results. And of course it is a superior method for hunting.

It is a good way to shoot a bow and I sometimes wish I had never tried any other. - lbg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:12 am 
Site Admin

lbg,
I agree about its effectiveness. If I knew then what I know now about target panic, and conditioned response, I would have been much more careful in how I developed my swing draw form.

One of the best aspects of the swing draw versus holding then aiming, is I feel that if, once I acquire my sight picture, the bow arm is firmly locked on target for the remainder of the shot. There is no wandering, or seeking of the bow hand. Something about how the muscles are brought into play really lock the bow arm in.

When drawing to anchor and then aiming, I feel as if the bow arm is precariously set and fine motor skills are required to balance and counter-balance each other in all directions in order to stay on target. With swing draw--boom--I'm on target, and now its just a simple, singular effort of holding on target, and an opposing effort to complete the draw.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:36 pm 
Site Admin

Well, it's been over 6 months. It's interesting to look back at my old posts. I no longer have any trouble holding on target....no urge to release. Very cool that I fixed that problem.

I shot my first 300 round with woodies today. Scored a 258...only 4 points shy of my best with carbons. I'm pretty happy with that considering the woodies I have are just off-the shelf shafts from 3 Rivers. I bought 2 dozen and was disappointed to find that they vary in weight by as much as 100 grains!

Luckily a disparity of about 60 grains only accounts for a 1 inch difference at 20 yards, so I can live with it. I haven't checked the spine consistency. I think I'd prefer ignorance at this point.