[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - short range practice

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: short range practice
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:30 pm 

To improve my field archery scores, I've been shooting the various distances, starting up close with the bunny and working my way back.

To make it a bit of a challenge, I keep shooting a target until I get a 17 (means I need at least one in the spot), then I move back to the next target.

Turns out a fellow archer who shoots a compound does the same thing -- except he doesn't move back until he gets a 20. For a few days, I thought 'well, he shoots compound, I shoot traditional recurve, we have different standards'. Then, I started wondering.

So, a few days ago, I changed my rules -- don't move back until I shoot a 19 (at least three in the spot). By the end of practice, I had only succeeded at the first three targets. But, I noticed that my groups had really tightened -- much more than when I was shooting the whole range of distances.

Today, I hope to change the rules again -- don't move back until I shoot a 20. I may not make it past the bunny -- hope to see those groups tighten, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:00 am 

That a heck of an idea. I probably should work on something similar. I always just work on shooting different distances to make sure sure my gaps are still on then start randomly changing distances to make sure I can do that and to break things up a bit. I have a system for everything else I do. I really should have a system for practicing for field as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 pm 

Well, I have been having trouble shooting a 20 on the bunny. As I walkup, I start hitting the x, but I shoot high at the longer bunny shots. So, to practice more quickly, I started shooting the hunter round -- all four arrows at 11 yards. They all go high -- time after time after time. How can that be? I consistently hit the 15-yard target by shooting right at it -- and I can hit the spot from 20 feet by shooting right at it. Doesn't that mean that all distances between 15 yards and 20 feet should be shot the same -- aimed right at the x?

Turns out the answer is no :)

I am continuing my archery education :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:09 pm 

The shorter targets are giving me fits. I have no aiming points under 40 yds so I have to shoot those distances instinctively. I drop many many points in doing so. What parts of the bow, arrow, or hand can be used as reference points under 40 yds? Any help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:15 pm 

John H what are you shooting? Longbow? Recurve? Off the shelf? Elevated rest? There are some possible answers for you depending on your set up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:21 am 

John, I have the same situation -- my point-on distance is 59 yards. This allows me to gap shoot fairly well from 50 to 70 yards. At the shorter distances, I am so far under the target that the gap is not much help. I have gone to 'trajectory' aiming (recommended by Rob D). This requires looking down the length of the arrow and estimating where it will go. A good way to start out is at about 15 yards (because the shot is really flat at that range). Look down the length of the arrow and adjust it so that if it were to go in a straight line, it would hit the spot. The longer distances have a bit of an arc, and take a bit of mental calibration to get used to. Once you get used to it, I think it is 'THE' way to aim at all distances -- I just don't shoot enough to be calibrated at the really long distances.

Rob D, perhaps you can add to this.

Rob R

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:51 pm 

I'm shooting longbow(Fox Triple Crown), off the shelf,42@30, with 31" 1916's, 470 gr. Point-on is 55 yds. I will try and look down the arrow more directly. I can see the arrow at full draw, but kinda look down at it to judge left and right only I guess if that makes sense. The point isn't much use because it is somewhere way below the intended target.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:05 pm 

John H, draw, put point on spot, look for something that lines up with edge of shelf. Lower bow until point is level with what formerly lined up with edge of shelf. That will be one "standard" gap for you. Or, can you see see the top edge of the arrow strike plate? Draw, place point on spot, lower bow unitl top edge of plate lines up with spot. That is another possible gap. For various yardages use multiples and fractions of your standard gap. For example 20 yards may be "2 and a half gaps down." 60 yards may be "Half gap up." Practice and keep notes until you have the gaps memorized. You can start close and work back or start at point on and work forward in 5 yard increments to get started.
Instinctive shooters please disregard this post. :lol: