Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stringmakers Wax
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 1999 8:32 am 

The best stringwax I've ever used is a mixture of pure beeswax with just a little bit of resin added for "body". Mike Teel in Texas makes a great stringwax in this fashion, I use his exlusively - I'm sure he'd be glad to share his formula and process with ya - [email]archer00@airmail.
et[/email] <P>His stuff is perfect for twisting Flemish strings: sticky, but not gooey. I think it's the proportion of resin that he adds. In any case, beeswax formulas are <B>WAY</B> better than those crappy synthetic stringwaxes.<P>I'll check my TBB's later - I'm sure there's some formulas in there also.<P><BR>------------------<BR><B><I>Rob DiStefano</I></B><P><BR><p>[This message has been edited by RFD (edited 12-25-1999).]

Post subject: Re: Stringmakers Wax
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 1999 9:03 pm 

TBB II has very little on string wax - I was surprised at that. Tim Baker's main comment was to use natural beeswax with no additives. Resin/rosin (this is that stuff used gymnasts to keep their hands from slipping on the equipment, or what violinists rub on their bows) will harden/stiffen, and oil (corn, tung, linseed, etc.) will soften. Melt the wax in a double boiler under a LOW heat b4 adding the resin/oil - the stuff is a fire hazard. Maybe that's all that needs to be said.<P>Having said that, I think the string wax I've gotten from Mike Teel might be 100% pure beeswax. Whatever it is, it's darn good stuff!<P>------------------<BR><B><I>Rob DiStefano</I></B><P><BR>