[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - floating in the zone while exhaling

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: floating in the zone while exhaling
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 12:54 pm 

Still working on switching from being a 'drive-by' shooter to the recommended holding on the target and 'floating in the zone'.

Had always thought that exhaling during exertion (such as drawing a bow) was basic.

However, for the last couple days, have switched to inhaling as I draw until I have aimed, then hold, exhale, and release. This has a lot of promise -- that big inhale seems to make me both strong and relaxed, and that long exhale gives the possibility of a leisurely luxurious 'float in the zone'.

Any thoughts on synching up breathing and 'floating in the zone'?

Post subject: Re: floating in the zone while exhaling
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 1:35 pm 

Over the decades, I've trialed lotsa different hold/release breath techniques. What seems to work best for me is what also seems most natural - slow and easy breaths of air, and the release just seems to happen during the slow exhale cycle.

Also, for me, there is no conscious "floating in the zone" stuff - if I can maintain a push/pull back tension, that will keep the sight picture (aiming, whether barebow or bow sight) quite on target with little movement.

Isn't it a wonderful thing when it all seems to come together and your longer range groups start to tighten up? :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:48 am 

Good stuff! Man I love this site!!n
Vic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:29 pm 

Rob's dead on.

No floating for me either. As I've gotten older and less steady, I have changed my anchor/loose/follow thru to be a continous movement. Like it is supposed to be...loln
When drawing the bow I take a deep breath and start exhaling as soon as I come to anchor then stop exhaling when I come on target and at this point engage my back muscle making sure my elbow in straight back....this automatically steadies my arrow tip whereever I want it
The loose comes almost automatically and gives me the sensation that my fingers have gone through the string.....(at least this is the way it feels if I stay Unconsciously involved and let "it" shoot....oooooooh how good it is!!!) Back to breathing again.
Art

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 10:31 pm 

A really good book or tape to get is "Zen and the Art of Archery"....really good book or tape.

Art

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:02 am 

Benn Loss of vision is a well known consequence of holding your breath till you have an oxygen deficiency. Another good reason fsor shooting fast before this sets in.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:21 pm 

So far, floating in the zone is still a 'possibility'. I am inhaling until I'm on the target, then hold my breath and let go. It is almost 'drive-by' shooting, but that little switch from inhaling to holding is just enough to freeze the bow for a moment. I've been trying to 'float', but I'm not very good at it. Judging from the comments here, maybe I should be happy the way I am.

Ben, your suggestion for narrowing my focus is intriguing -- I wonder if it can be applied at work when I am distracted

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:33 pm 

I prefer to shoot in an oxygenated state :) As I draw my bow I take a full breath in, as I settle my hand into my face I release about half that breath. Continuous motion, anchor in the back, steady hold and dynamic follow through.

Floating in the " zone " is a neat place to be while shooting my bow and arrow. Active meditation is what one of my teachers calls it. :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:57 pm 

A nice form to shoot for.

Larry, when do you acquire the target?n
Thanks
Rob

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 1:15 pm 

I acquire the target at pre-draw and fine tune it at full draw, passive maintainence with continuous motion (in the back and shoulder muscles), and follow through.

Larry

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:44 pm 

"Floating in the " zone " is a neat place to be while shooting my bow and arrow. Active meditation is what one of my teachers calls it."n
Larry,n
Your results would suggest that you wouldn't pick just anyone for a teacher. What do you look for in a teacher -- and are they all archers?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:00 pm 

I have the same style as Larry, to me, it seems the natural thing to do. When teaching archery to newcomers, I get them to stand with arms at full side stretch, then on the command "Inhale" they lower their arms to the side whilst inhaling. I may get them to do this a second time (to get the feel)Once they have the feeling, I then get them to raise the arms to full side stretch whilst inhaling. Then I ask which is better for them. Usualy, it is the latter.