[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - 2004 World Championships-Watkins Glen NY

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 2004 World Championships-Watkins Glen NY
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 11:57 am 

It's official, the site for the 2004 IFAA World Field Archery Championships has been announced . Watkins Glen NY, July 19-23rd next year, 5 days of rigorous field archery, what more can an archer ask for? :)
Larry

Post subject: Re: 2004 World Championships-Watkins Glen NY
PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 4:24 pm 

I have no idea how it is today, but back in the late 60's/early 70's I shot the NYS NFAA field champs there 2 or 3 times. Was a fine course, lotsa ups 'n' downs!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:09 pm 

Thanks for the information. Keep it coming... Bill I sent you an email. You East Coasters, I look forward to meeting you and many of you will see your way into shooting the tourney.

It doesn't get into the states that often, and Here it is!
Regards,n
Larry :cool:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:45 pm 

I've heard it is a great course. And it would be great to meet the participants in this forum.

For those of us who shoot NFAA -- is it much different shooting an IFAA round?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:52 pm 

It is just about identical to NFAA rules and rounds with a few minor differences. You could sum it up as NFAA rules 10 years ago before the NFAA made a lot of changes.

Read up on the styles to get the definitions and restrictions for your particular bow. AC you would be in barebow recurve or bowhunter recurve, if shooting recurve, of course. :)
In general, the differences are: stand behind the stake, never stradle or in front of. Shoot birdies/bunnies in a Z pattern rather than a vertical column.

One other thing, if you hit brush on the way to the target it tough luck. The arrow cannot be reshot. :D
Larry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:46 pm 

Yes -- looks like barebow allows a clicker, and bowhunter does not. So I'd be bowhunter -- shooting with the likes of Jerry Adams and Daniel Hickman -- fast company. They shoot bowhunter scores that are better than the barebow scores.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:08 am 

Are there many barebow recurve shooters at these events? What sort of scores do they post? Could you give me a quick and dirty explanation of what's allowed and not in this class? Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 12:37 pm 

You can check out the scores for barebow-recurve at the IFAA site , look at WFAC and EFAC scores which will give you an idea what was shot at the Worlds and Europeans. I have 3 buddies that are the dominant archers in that style, Steve Partridge, Mark Applegate, and my teammate Skip Trafford. I am not for certain if Mark or Skip will be shooting barebow at the next Worlds. I suspect they will but they have talked about switching to freestyle recurve or longbow respectively. These guys are shooting the top field scores, which seem to drop off significantly after 3rd place. There will be enough barebow recurves at the tournament to keep things interesting and to make for good company.

In review, barebow recurves can have any length stablizers and v bars, clicker, level, stringwalk, facewalk, I think anything goes except a sight. Of course all gadgets cannot be in the sight window, since they cannot be used for sighting.

Not for certain, Russ, but I would venture to say that "our" traditional recurve style is most like IFAA's bowhunter-recurve . Bowhunter recurve is as restrictive as trad recurve, no sights, no stringwalking/facewalking, the only gadget that is allowed in contrast to trad/rec is a 12 inch stablizer.

If I was shooting a recurve this is the style I would shoot since it is more in the spirit of trad recurve.

Hope this helps :) .

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 4:03 pm 

Larry, Thanks for the info! I may have IFAA confused with FITA. The only local club shoots NFAA, so I have those rules down pretty well. How does IFAA differ from FITA shoots. Are both being held in Watkins Glen or are they the same? Do both use the same equpment classes? Please pardon my ignorance and thanks again.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 7:59 pm 

Russ, I understand the confusion there are plenty of associations and plenty of letters. NFAA is to IFAA as NAA is to FITA. :)
Both Mark Applegate and Skip Trafford shoot FITA barebow avidly. The bows are very similar as are the rules, except IFAA allows a clicker and bubble level. The field rounds differ too. At the IFAA Worlds you shoot 5 days of field hunter animal field hunter, in that order. I've lost touch of the FITA World fields, so I might need some help here, it is 3 arrows 24 targets per day, first day is unmarked, I don't think they shoot past 50 meters. Second day is marked and I forget the max distance I think it is 65 meters. Then there is a cut, the top 10 go into a finals round. From there, I need some help, I think there are further cuts and shoot offs. :)
Larry

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 1:33 pm 

Bill, I did get the info you sent, thank you very much :) .

Fita Fields in NY too? Cool :cool: . That ought to be a gala archery event for spectators and competitors alike.

Regards,n
Larry