[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - 2004 World Championships-Watkins Glen NY

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2004 World Championships-Watkins Glen NY
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:10 am 

Hello fellows. I haven't posted in awhile. My computer is goofy and won't let me post a reply. I am doing this at night from my office. I might be able to add to this discussion. Also, I have a change of email address:
hrrush@npgcable.comn
I'm glad to know the IFAA World Field will be in the USA in 2004. I would like to shoot it and meet some of you in person. Larry, you can buy me that hot dog then. Thanks for the information about IFAA barebow rules.

Concerning what shoots are when. The FITA World TARGET championships are this year July 14-20 '03 in New York Central Park. You need to be on a national team just like the Olympics. Not open registration. Next year, the FITA World FIELD championships will be held July 5-10 in Plitvica Laces, Croatia. Again, you must be on the team of a country to shoot in Croatia. The US trials will be held in conjunction with our National Field Championships in Ohio June 5-7 2004. Anyone can shoot the trials. The US can send up to three in compound, olympic recurve and barebow recurve. 9 men and 9 women. There is no compound barebow division.

FITA barebow shoots unmarked the first day. 5-45 meters. Second day is marked 5-50 meters. 3 arrows each at 24 targets per day. At our trials there is a cut and another day of shooting with scores being cumulative for the whole trials. At the world's there is a cut to 16 and scores start over. Then a cut to eight. Then a cut to 4 with scores starting over.

Compound and recurve with sights shoot 10-60 meters.

Larry, at the IFAA world's can anyone resister or do we have to be on the US team? When are the trials for the US team?n
If anyone would like to shoot the NAA (FITA) nationals next year, I would be glad to help make sure you know the rules and the approach to shooting their barebow rules.

Harold Rush

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 1:19 am 

Well this sounds like a great shoot. Can you tell us Larry, or anyone else how it is shot. I looked at and saw the scores varied each of the 5 days. What rounds are shot each day???
The rules stated "The decision to participate in the Veteran division is not binding on subsequent Tournaments. The choice is always optional. Proof of age will be compulsory. There will be no classes in the Veteran Division and shooting styles are as for Adult Men and Women above. "
What does this mean? the Veteran can't win an award at the WORLD'S? Please I wait for the answer to these 2 questions....clear!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 12:18 pm 

My apologies for not responding sooner to the above questions, I've been away, in the Sierra's somewhere around 9,500 ft. hunting and backpacking. :D
Kit, typically the 5 days of shooting are 28 field, 28 hunter, 28 animal, 28 field, 28 hunter. I talked with the organizer and he listed the animal round on Friday, but later said it was on Wednesday. I am not clear that the schedule is set for one day or the other for the animal round, but I am sure you get the idea.

The veterans, over 55 years old may compete in veteran or they may choose to shoot in adult. If they shoot veteran, there will be no classes eg. A, B, C. The veterans compete against themselves for veteran awards, which are not the same World Champion awards that the adults vie for. At least that is how I recall it.

Harold, if you are a member of your Nation's IFAA organization, NFAA you may compete as an individual. You need not be on a team to compete in the IFAA Worlds. I like the all-comers meet venue IFAA offers.

Regards,n
Larryn My bow made meat this trip. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 5:00 pm 

Larry,
A question re: the 5-day format.

You mention there is a cut after a couple of days. Does that mean that only some of the archers shoot all 5 days? Or perhaps everyone shoots, but some are in the 'consolation ladder'?n
thanks
ArcCaster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:14 pm 

My apologies for the confusion in regards to the logistics of the tournaments. Please note that in an aforementioned post I was discussing 2 different associations.

IFAA has the 5 day shoot schedule where all competitors shoot the complete 5 days. The highest score is the Champion! :)
FITA, an independent association, does make a cut in its World Championships. Please note Harold's post, he has an accurate description. :)
Arc, in answer to your question, No, IFAA does not make a cut.

In FITA there is a cut and the archers cut do not continue shooting in the individual competition. Although some archers might continue to shoot in the team competition. Harold?n
Cheers,n
Larry

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 3:04 am 

Larry - Congratulations on a successful hunt.

FITA does make cuts in the field to get down to the finals of 4 archers in the individual competition. The teams from each country are decided at the end of the second full day (the marked round). The top archer in each of the three categories (recurve sights, compound, and barebow) for a country make up the team for that country. The scores are added together and the countries with the top 8 scores make it to the finals for the teams. So, several archers eliminated in the individual competition do make it to the finals in the team competition.

This past weekend, I was in Buffalo, NY. I wanted to drive down to Watkins Glen and see the range for next July. I planned to video tape it and photograph it, making CDs for all of you. Weather and a malfunctioning camcorder sabatoged the effort. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:53 am 

I think I may try to attend this shoot next year
I always like to try new things. Are IFAA rules and FITA rule close to same concerning " What a Longbow is ?"n
Bill

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 12:03 am 

Bill, it will be great to have you there. Let me know if there are any questions I can answer. Fita rules and IFAA rules are quite different when it comes to tackle. :)
Since you asked about the IFAA rules: longbows, let's start with the biggest item first. The bow cannot show any reflex in the limbs when strung, moreover, the limbs must be curving towards the string through its whole arc. That means you cannot have any recurve or flat spots in the limb when strung. ;) We can go over the other rules next post.

Larry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:58 am 

Okay sports fans, Bill I hope you are reading this :) : Longbows are one piece, no takedowns are allowed, split finger loose, wood arrows, feaher fletch, off the shelf.

The field, hunter and animal round are a blast. Just out of curiousity, how many of you folks have shot one or all of these rounds in the past year? Do you have a favorite?n
Cheers,n
Larry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:17 am 

Larry, Is the IFAA shoot the same as a NFAA? If so, I simply love to shoot the animal round. The idea of getting a 20 on a good first arrow is intoxicating. Next I like the field targets because I shoot them mostly for practice. Lastly, I hardly ever practice on the hunter faces so they are my least favorite.
You stated you shoot one round a day for five days. Since there are only three target faces, is the first and last day for travel and admin?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:44 am 

Nay Russ, it is indeed 5 solid days of shooting. :)
First day: 28 fieldn
Second day: 28 huntern
Third day: 28 animaln
Fourth day: 28 fieldn
Fifth day: 28 huntern
:)
It's a great staged archery tournament!n
Larry

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 12:26 pm 

Larry,n
You have convinced me -- I am planning to shoot there.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:29 am 

It's going to be a great tourney, the NFAA Nationals and the IFAA Worlds will be combined. Sounds like it will be shot field, hunter, field hunter, animal is on Friday.

Larry :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:51 pm 

Just read my latest Archery magasine which posted the scores for the NFAA field archery nationals. Wow -- there are traditional archers shooting in the mid 400s. I look forward to seeing how they do it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:08 pm