[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Is a rubber band an unfair advantage ???

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 7:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Is a rubber band an unfair advantage ???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:51 pm 

There`s a pretty hot debate going on in the U.K. at the moment regarding the use of rubberbands used as sighting aids on traditional English Long Bows. The letters pages of Archery U.K. were full of letters discussing wether or not having a rubberband on your bow gives an unfair advantage to those who choose to use one, against those who do not. Both the British Long Bow Society and The Grand National Archery Society allow the use of a band band. I know there`s a couple of English Longbow guys ( Daniel Hawley, Cliveanne etc ) that regularly contribute to this site I just wonder what your feelings are ? Should there be two catagories of long bow shooting , one with, one without, or, in the interests of purity and tradition, should they all be banned ??? I choose to shoot without any form of sighting aid , that`s why I took up the longbow in the first place., to see how well I could make the shot, but I know I`m never going to win against an archer that chooses to use a band. What`s you opinion ??????

Post subject: Re: Is a rubber band an unfair advantage ???
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:05 pm 

Ah, interesting ... the use of any fixed bow aiming reference IS a bow sight, plain and simple. If the rules allow this, it's no longer a barebow contest - it's a freestyle event. IMO, this is a fact and not a subjective matter at all.

I'll be a good feller and not even talk about using yer arrow point as an aiming reference. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 11:36 pm 

I wouldn`t dream of it Rob. Every body has there own views on that one

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 7:04 am 

Phil, I think I have said it before here, I choose no band. Like you I know I will not win shooting against a "Bander", but there again, I'm shooting against my last best score. As far as I'm concerned, no matter what the score, 0 or 500, If I've enjoyed the shoot, I've won
By the way, how's the new Bickerstaff?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 4:28 pm 

Hi Peten I`m with you all the way on this one. I can understand the competitive nature of some long bow men and women, and the band helps them to achieve their own personal goals , but we know each other well enough to know the thrill of that one great shot we all perform from time to time. The Bickerstaffe`s brilliant thanks for asking .....love to Carol

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:29 pm 

I shoot without a band, but accept that I could get better results with one, it just doesn't seem right using one. What I don't accept is that I will always be beaten by an archer using one. I have won the Hampshire indoor counties, without using a band and set a county record. (Double Portsmouth) so it can be done, you just have to work harder. If you can't accept people using bands then do field archery, bands are banned there
As for the 2 catorgories, I'd like to see it, but I don't think that there are enough Longbowmen out there to justify it. The GNAS rules allow for barebow recurve archers, how many of them have you seen shooting target?
Longbows are the minority, I don't think that splitting us up will help at all.
Daniel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 6:31 pm 

By the way my self yew bow broke the other week, and I have just taken delivery of the replacement. An Osage Bickerstaffe bow. It shoots better than the Yew did. I'm happyn
Daniel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:16 pm 

Danieln Your absolutly spot on . Longbow archers that choose to shoot without a band have to work harder on every aspect of the shot that involves sighting . I`m not in favour of two shooting catogories either, I feel as I guess many other archers do, that, the fruit of your labour tastes a little sweeter with out the rubber. Sorry to hear about you bow Dan but it`s niceto know the new one is performing and making you smile.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:19 pm 

SHOOT & BE HAPPY :D :D :D