[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - NFAA Field Target Scoring

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFAA Field Target Scoring
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 4:58 pm 

Post subject: Re: NFAA Field Target Scoring
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2003 8:26 pm 

Robend, Your best bet is to go to the NFAA website, [url=http://www.
faa-archery.com,]www.
faa-archery.com,[/url] where the rules are posted and/or get a copy of the NFAA rules and constution. I have also called and chatted with the main office and they are very helpful. They can probably tell you who the local NFAA folks are too whom would likely be delighted to help you out personally.
A NFAA field range of 14 targets is termed a unit. Two units make a round. There are three target faces; Field (black and white alternating rings), Hunter (all black with a white center), and Animal (animal targets with white center). Each target face is shot from it's own stakes so each target lange needs three different set of stakes if you intend to shoot all three faces. There is a possible 20 points for each face. The Field and Hunter faces require four arrows each for a possible 5+5+5+5=20 points. The Hunter targets are generally shot at slightly shorter ranges than the Field targets. The Animal targets are shot at shorter ranges yet and are scored differently. You shoot up to three arrows or until you score a hit, so you may shoot 1, 2, or 3 arrows at each target. The targets score a kill or an outer hit. On the first arrow, you can get a kill (20 pts.) or out hit (18 pts.). If you miss the first arrow and have to shoot a second, a kill is 16 points and an outer shot 14. Again, if you miss your second arrow also, you get a third try that scores 12 for a kill and 10 for a peripheral hit.
Target distances are a matter of requirement for an official range. There must be one 80 yard target per unit, forinstance, and so many walk up targets and so many fans. In order to qualify for NFAA insurance, the targets need to be setup in a safe manner as described in the rule book. Also, the local NFAA director and state association needs to inspect the range and sign off on it. This sounds far more complicated than it really is and I only write it here to give you an idea of the process. It's better to start with an idea of the necessary range requirements than to setup and range and later find out it needs to be changed for whatevere reasons. If I was starting out again, I'd ask the State NFAA Director and State Association to help out laying out the range. Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:53 am 

Just a "rant" of a comment ...
Are not the current crops of archery tournament rules - and their myriad variations - a deterrent to competing and increasing the ranks of target archers who wish to keep score? :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:10 am 

Rob, You're not trying to stir up that messy argument again, are you? :D As for equipment specifications, I've given my position before - not that it really matters. :mad:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:08 am 

[quote]Originally posted by Russ:
[b] Rob, You're not trying to stir up that messy argument again, are you? :(
Oh well .... okay, I'll shut up and just go away. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:55 pm 

It might be interesting to have a graduated scale of tournaments.

Start with FITA indoors -- work on form and repeatability until you can group 144 arrows at a single distance on a single target.

Then, try FITA 4 distances outdoors, until you can group 36 arrows on a single target fairly well.

Then, maybe go to marked 3D -- now that your shot is repeatable, try it at varying distances within a narrow range -- say out to 30 yards.

Then, unmarked 3D out to 30 yards.

Then, marked field archery out to 80 yards.

Then, unmarked field archery out to 80 yards.

What do you think -- start easy and work your way towards the more difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 5:55 pm 

I ain't sayin' any more 'bout archery rules & regs ... hehehehehehehe ... :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 6:31 pm 

ha

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 7:38 pm 

Thanks guys, but WHEW. I think I'll have to devise something of my own. The fellows I'm trying to interest in archery are in their 70's with no experience, but a willingness to try. I'm thinking something a little more simple. I'm the only one with any experience at all, and that ain't much. But I appreciate the give and take on it anyway. I still don't understand the scoring on a target of 5-5-5-5 with four arrows?. Are you saying you can hit the face anywhere and get a five? In muzzleloading I shoot targets with a graduated score from the Bull out; the Bull being 10, etc. Five shots and you total the rings -- or am I making this harder than it should be?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:13 pm 

Targets have 3 scoring rings. The inner black ring scores 5, the white ring scores 4 and the outer black ring scores 3. Hence, 4 shots in the inner black ring gives you a 20.

If you were able to find a reference to course layout you would find that a course is made up of 2 14-target series. The distances and face size for a 14 target series are:
6" - 1 shot each at 15', 20', 25'& 30'n 12" - 4 shot targets @ 15, 20, 25 & 30 yardsn 18" - 4 shot targets at 40, 45 & 50 yardsn 4 shots in a fan at 35 and 4 shots at an 30, 35, 40, 45 yard walk-upn 24" - 4 shot targets @ 55, 60, & 65 yards plus
an 80, 70, 60, 50 yard walk-up

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:23 pm 

Robend, I think that it's all a matter of what's at hand, in terms of target archery. If you truly wish to compete for regulation score you'll be bound by the host club/org rules, and that's about it. You *will* find fluctuations in the rules as the smart clubs (who wish to both encourage archery and make some needed club money) will bend 'em to allow for more shooters to sign up for the tournament. It all depends on the shoot host.

So, it's the tourneys that'll define what you can, and can't, do in terms of shooting and gear rules. Therefore, check out your local tourney venues - call the club(s) and ask for the shooting scoop.

Your other option is to shoot for your own score, and/or a group score of like-minded archers. This is what I do - it's lots of fun and can be quite competitive.

Are we havin' fun ... yet? :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:52 am 

By 5-5-5-5=20, I mean a possible 5 points per arrow for 4 arrows per target for a maximum score of 20 points per target on outdoor NFAA field targets. The Field and Hunter targets have scoring rings that range from 1 to 5 points. An arrow outside the 1 ring or not on the face at all is a zero. It's pretty hard to get 20 points on a distant target barebow, at least for me, LOL. On a good day, I can generally get all my arrows on the paper at range and score something, but rarely 20. There, I said it. I feel so much better, LOL.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:06 am 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:42 pm