[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - Stringwalking

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Wed May 15, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stringwalking
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:26 pm 

Here's an online resource about

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:08 am 

In my experience, it seems best to place two nock sets, one above and one below the arrow. If you use metal crimp on ones, polish off any metal sharp edges of burrs. They can slice open your nose when you are shooting at the long distance and your finger is just below the arrow. Don't place the sets so close together that they pinch the arrow when at full draw. You may use serving material, thread or dental floss and super glue instead of metal sets. I am using the Beiter nock set that is served onto the string because I use the Beiter nocks. My nose is happier.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:36 pm 

Barbwire, good questions. Let's see if I can answer a couple of them.

A good tune is important with a barebow, in addition, a forgiving set up is helpful. With the various positions on the string, the dynamics of the bow change. I like to tune at the intermediate distance, or the average distance shot for your round. If your max distance is 50 yards and your min is 10 yards, you would do fine tuning at 30 yards. The other technique is to tune the distance that you shoot the majority of your arrows at. In any case bareshaft tune at that distance and fine tune with groups after that.

If your point on distance is 35 yards as well as your max distance, you are fortunate, because the space on the string between 35 to 20 is nothing to complain about. The point on distances on my bows range from 60-65 yards point on, the finger position for 20 yards is a more sizable walk. So, for tuning, tune your rig for the intermediate distance and shoot a forgiving set up, so you get more leeway on your extremes. :)
Regards,n
Larry

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 11:46 pm 

Barbwire, sounds like you have one of those problems that is going to take some practice and self exploration :) . The good news is you already know the problem. The next handful of practice sessions, be very aware of your finger placement on the string. You already have a handle on what you are doing wrong. Now the challenge will be to find out how to do it right. Too simplistic? :)
Widow tabs were great to use, but I found that they started withering after 6 months of heavy use. I've got Cavalier tabs that are going on 8 years now. If the metal plate didn't work for me I would probably make a custom that would look like a Cavalier/Widown combo with a leather stiffener rather than a synthetic, I would go with cordovan leather too.

Cheers,n
Larry

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:17 am 

Barbwire,n
A little more on Larry's suggestion about the Cavalier: you can take the metal plate completely off. What you have left is a couple pieces of leather. Get velcro with a sticky gluey backing, and fasten the leather in the same location (except BETWEEN the leather) that the metal plate would have been. I've been using this setup for a week, and so far I really like it. A pleasant surprise -- the velcro provides a kind of soft bulge where the metal plate used to be, making for a more comfortable and snug fit than I had expected.

ArcCaster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:32 am 

Larry, ArcCaster and Barbwiren I too like the Cavalier. However it is split for a split finger loose. I use it when shooting target archery but not barebow stringwalking. When I checked with Diane Tone, I was told that they do not make a barebow version for three fingers under. I use the A&F Barebow tab. I use the stitches as from the factory as a reference for finger placement for the different distances. I don't know how to post pictures here, but if anyone wants, I will make a video of how I do stringwalking and send it to them. Contact me at hrrush@npgcable.comn
I'm still looking forward to meeting all of you at Watkins Glen.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:19 am 

Jade
You better start working on your yardage judging if you are going to stringwalk. Flat ground and known yardage is one thing but hills and unknown yardage is another. Have a great day !n
Talk to ya later ,n
Bill :bigsmyl2:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:25 pm 

[quote]Originally posted by WFL/KY:
[b] Jade
You better start working on your yardage judging if you are going to stringwalk. Flat ground and known yardage is one thing but hills and unknown yardage is another. Have a great day !n
Talk to ya later ,n
Bill :D (ie, "gap") requires good 'n' accurate distance estimation - that's one major component of the aiming process.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:30 am 

Barbwire 44n I admire you for wanting to stringwalk. I am enjoying the challenge and have learned at lot these past three years. May I ask what competitions you are going io enter? FITA, NFAA, 3-D animal or other.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2003 2:57 pm 

Rob,n
Never had been around many string walkers till a couple of months ago. I watched 10/15 shooters that could not shoot at the same spot without busting arra's. This was on the training grounds that had mark yardage on the shooting stake.
Thats just way too much for this ol'boy to think about !n
Bill :bigsmyl2: