[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - care & maintainance of a modern bow

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: care & maintainance of a modern bow
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:33 am 

When I was shooting my Bob Lee off the shelf, I sometimes checked to make sure the limb bolts were tight. When I was shooting my Wing Comp II, sometimes I oiled the spring-loaded slip-in limbs. Life was simple :)
Now I have a Best Zenit with modern limbs -- and there are adjustments everywhere. Screws on the limbs which appear to come loose -- screws on the riser for modifying tiller and draw weight -- and no instructions anywhere :(
Sometimes the bow shouts that it needs maintainance (so I put teflon plumber's tape on my plunger to keep it from coming loose). Am wondering if there are any whispers I should be listening for.

Post subject: Re: care & maintainance of a modern bow
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:43 pm 

Arc - As the late, great Douglas Adams once wrote, "don't panic" :)
I have always had to use plumbers' tape for the buttons on my PSE Intrepid and Border Talisman risers. I'm not sure exactly why, but I think it can be attributed to the fact that manufacturers obviously work to different tolerances.

As for the limb bolt issue, this is one of the hazards of a modern target recurve. Sometimes, you will find that certain set ups (bracing heights, stabilisers etc.) just seem to resonate at the right frequency to nock things out of line. I had this problem with my target set up (Intrepid + Border limbs) until I found a chose a new string material, a new bracing height, a good tiller setting and a decent set of stabilisers (Beiter). Each small step made things better, but the whole package is what was required to calm things down. Now, my bow has sounded quiet since the day I bought it, but obviously something wasn't right. Now it is, and I don't need to worry.

Obviously, this is not something people who shoot traditional bows will have much experience of. It's just an everyday hazard to a jaded target recurve archer. :D
The only thing I can suggest is that you experiment with a few different bracing heights and maybe string materials too. If possible use some dampers, but arguably these may just cover up a problem rather than solving it (so some say, anyway).
As for adjustment, the limb bolts are designed to be adjusted with the help of two hex keys of the same size. Place one in the bolt (on the back of the bow) and one in the retaining bolt (in the belly of the bow), and hold the one in the bolt firm while you turn the other to loosen it. Then simply wind the bolt in or out as desired (letting it rotate freely), and then lock again with two hex keys by again holding the bolt firmly in place while you tighten the retaining bolt.
Hope this makes sense. Sorry for the long post.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 8:00 pm 

I am not sure what you are writing about.

The Best Zenit riser is one of the simplist risers on the market. There is no limb alignement mechanism such as employed on the Hoyt Aerotec and Matrix, the W&W Infinite and X-Feel and the PSE X-Factor.

I have a modified laser tool to check and adjust limb alignement and find that limbs on my Best Zenit riser were perfectly aligned by the factory.

The only adjustment you can make is by moving the limb bolts in and out to change limb weight. I don't know how far you can back the bolts out but I suspect you should stop at the stainless stop adjacent to the large limb bolt head. This will give you the lightest weight available from your limbs. The heaviest weight is with the bolts all the way into the riser. The weight range you can adjust is about 10% of the marked weight.

You can set both limbs to produce zero tiller or any reasonabale tiller you want. I am sure your next question will be what is the proper tiller. Toss a coin and pick what you like. Many people use 0 and others use +2 to +8mm. It all depends on your limbs and what feel you like. Hoyt limbs produce about +8mm tiller naturally (both limbs set at the same position. W&W Focus and Synerzy limbs are 0.

There are holes in the riser for stabilizers, a cushion plunger, a sight mounting baracket, a clicker and the grip fastening screws. These are not adjustments but only for you to attach fixtures.

I have never seen limb lugs come loose. tighten them when you get the limbs and then periodically look at them.

ps: I would get rid of the Spigaraelli cushion plunger that came with your riser and get a good one, the Beiter cushion plunger.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 11:33 am 

Actually, I am shooting with a Cavalier Master Plunger button. What difference do you think I would experience if I were to go with the Beiter?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 12:35 pm 

There is nothing wrong with the Cavalier plunger but it is hard to adjust. The Beiter is easy to adjust and you can easily setup a spare if you want to. Also, it you take it apart to clean it, you can reset the appropriate setting accurately.