[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Stickbow Target Archery Forums • View topic - NAFAC in the Everglades

Stickbow Target Archery Forums

Traditional Archery Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NAFAC in the Everglades
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:19 pm 

I won't mince words when I say that this was a tough competition for me, heck it was a tough competition for all of us. It certainly marked a starting point for me as I prepare for the World Fields in Watkins Glen 2004.

Besides all the blood sweat and tears, the Everglades Field Archery range is a gem in the rough. It was 28 well cared for targets set in the Everglades of Florida. The Everglade Field Archers did a great job at preparing the range and clearing the canopy in order to allow the arcing wood arrows free passaage on their way to the 70 and 80 yard targets. I liken the hazards of the range to those you might encounter on courses from a different sport. There were plenty of trees and water. If your arrow didn't find a target butt, you would have a slim chance to find your arrow in one piece, or if you were lucky it would end up in the drink. Best way to get your arrow, canoe... :) It had some great elements that led to drama, comedy, and triumph. We even had a villian. :mad: But after all was said and done, and then said and done again, we were all the best of friends and looking forward to the next time we could meet again, with bow and arrow in hand. :thumbsup:
Cheers,n
Larry

Post subject: Re: NAFAC in the Everglades
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2003 5:35 pm 

Not knowing whether you'll have enough arrows to finish certainly adds a little bit of pressure to make your shots good :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:56 pm 

Let me elaborate on my first post, and yes AC it is a bit unnerving to start a shoot with the notion that you might not have enough arrows to finish. ;) I also knew that I was going to have to keep my arrows on the target butt. At past World Championships, which are 5 day shoots I have always had enough arrows. Typically I bring 18 arrows for a 5 day tournament.

But at past World Championships, I have seen other archers run out of arrows, run out of points, and have to improvise by repairing, borrowing, and begging to stay in the tournament. During this tournament, my new friend Dana C. assured me that if I needed arrows he had raw shafts that could be built up into working arrows overnight. Although I thoroughly appreciated his assurance, I didn't even want to go near that situation. :cool: Key Q&A is how many arrows is enough, it depends on how well I am shooting, how big the target butts are, how the huts are constructed, and whether there are a lot of rocks around the targets. I'll bring 18 to 24 arrows to the Worlds in July.

Larry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:09 am 

Larry,n
I'm glad that your bringing extra arrows that way I know who to see to bum a couple! LOL!!! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 3:58 am 

Eric, welcome aboard! We had a good time last weekend didn't we. Guess we really lucked out on the weather, that downpour on the way to the airport was impressive. I had a few reasons to come down to Homestead and shoot NAFAC, I must say that meeting you, your father, and Dana was well worth the trip. I wish I could have put on a better show, but it wasn't to be. My early season shooting needs some airing out and some tuning up. I am convinced that we will all be new and improved versions by the time July rolls around. :)
So back to the NAFAC 03. The Tournament Director has it all figured out, shooting commences at 7:30 am in order to get in 28 field and 28 animals in before dark. Dana and I were planning on getting rolling at 5 am to meet Darrin Nunez, defending NAFAC Champ for breakfast and then off to the range. Well we both over slept and had to skip the sit down breakfast for some Mc D's sausage and biscuits. I knew the time change would be an issue and it was. :roll:
A 28 field, 28 animal is a demanding round. We shoot the same format at our State Championships in California. In the morning there is the adrenalin rush and nerves to get over in order to settle in and start shooting. By the time you get to the animal round the mental and physical fatigue come into play, trying to make each arrow count. Darrin N. took the lead in the field round. I thought he turned in a good round, a great round relative to the rest of us. It's what you would expect from the defending and 2 time NAFAC champion. In the morning we were all trying to settle down. Darrin was trying to get comfortable by talking and visiting with us all. Dana finally had to ask Darrin to restrain himself while people were on the shooting line. Just a little shooting etiquette. Dana, Eric, and I continued to flounder, hopeful that we could find our groove. When the animal round started...well, let's just say the tide turned. But that's the next post. :mad:
Larry

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:41 pm 

Hey Larry thanks for the kind words
It was a great 3 days of shooting
The IFAA round really does separate the wheat form the chaffn
Well, here is my take on the competition.
The Everglades course is a flat land course cut into dense wooded brush
The overhanging tree canopy affords us great shade and some interesting tunnel shots
We have 3 over the water shots ranging from 80 to 48 yards.

I have never really trained for a marked field shoot until this years event, so I was delighted and dismayed that the world Longbow record holder was heading to our little part of the Florida Everglades
Delighted because Larry is a great shot and it was going to be a fantastic learning experience
Dismayed because I knew it would be a tough job to best him.

The first day consisted of 56 targets split into two 28 field rounds, after the first very tense and tight round the 02 IFFA longbow champion was in the lead, with a good 35 point buffer
The next round was the Animal round consisting 3 arrows in a shoot till you score format. By some fluke I came out as overall leader for the fist days 56 targets, after we completed the animal round.

The second day was again a very close call. With the highlight been Larry berating himself for a rare slip in his form. It was a priceless moment!n After the second day and a total of 84 targets shot there was a tie for first place
Who would have thought that the longbow wooden arrow division could have been that close
So myself and Larry went into a 3 target shoot off. Larry took the shoot off by 3 points..

I was disappointed that I had lost, but at the same time I had enjoyed the 3 days I got to shoot with Larry
For the record Larry Yien is a great ambassador for our sport, who shared shooting and technical tips with us. He was great company on the field with wonderful hunting story's
and archery insights
All in all, a great Shoot and a fantastic stepping stone to the worlds in 04!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:18 pm 

A priceless moment? :D I guess those moments are what we live for, although form breaks are easily forgotten, filed under selective short term memory loss. :D There would be a lot to be determined on the final day of shooting. Was it time to hit the nightlife of Miami and blow off some steam? :D Or should we get home, clean up, fuel up, and rest up? :p We will see, next post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:06 pm 

:D
It would all be settled with a 3 target shoot off and if need be a sudden death. More to follow! :eek:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:37 pm 

:D
Well that's my story and I am sticking to it.

Cheers :thumbsup: ,n
Larry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:43 pm 

Wow! What drama!! T'were it me, I would have dropped my arrows, stepped on them, and broken them all before I could shoot! Great story !!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:16 pm 

That surely sounded like a great weekend Larry. Congrats to both of you. John

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 10:06 am 

Great story. a taste of things to come in Watkins Glen, I think
Well done to both of you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:01 pm 

Thanks for sharing...wish I had been there.